beginner road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner road bike

looking to soon get me a road bike so I can get into duathlons and eventually triathlons. Only thing is the cheapest bike at a local shop is like $700.00, been scouring the ads for used but then again I dont really know what to look for. seen some cheap ones by schwinn at academy and triace at walmart but not sure if their worth getting. think I need like a 54cm frame

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
    looking to soon get me a road bike so I can get into duathlons and eventually triathlons. Only thing is the cheapest bike at a local shop is like $700.00, been scouring the ads for used but then again I dont really know what to look for. seen some cheap ones by schwinn at academy and triace at walmart but not sure if their worth getting. think I need like a 54cm frame
    Do not go with anything from Walmart etc. they are mostly Chinese junk, put together by someone that couldn't give a shit. Go to a bike shop and let them fit you to the proper sized frame, and then ride several models. The basic entry level bikes from specialized or trek will be night and day compared to the big box junk and would be a great place to start. Ride some of the mid-level bikes just so you can feel the difference in components that are used compared to the entry level bikes, there is a reason for the price difference. Definitely no reason to jump into a crazy expensive carbon fiber bike, but do yourself a favor a get a decent bike to start with.

If you end up buying new, it is like buying a car, don't pay sticker, the shop will usually work with you on the price and accessories. Also New models are released each year and you can get better deals on older models that they still have in inventory.

If you are trying to save some money hit up craigslist try to find a bike that is in your frame size, it maybe a few years old, but you can really find some great deals out there that may have barely been ridden. Another plus is you can get something that has already had some upgraded components added. If you buy it used, take it to a shop and let them give it a full service before taking it out.

Some other items:
    Helmet - It's a must.
    Cycling Computer - Tracks speed, trip, avg speed, cadence, etc.
    Shoes/Pedal - You may start with platform style pedal (doesn't retain your foot), but going to clip-less pedals and shoes are so much more efficient.
    Bike shorts/bib - Buy them, your ass will thank you.

Comment

think Im just gonna mod my mountain bike for now (take of knobby tires and remove the suspension fork) at least till I get the feel of it and money saved up. Ill keep watching the ads and garage sales, who knows I might get lucky

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
        think Im just gonna mod my mountain bike for now (take of knobby tires and remove the suspension fork) at least till I get the feel of it and money saved up. Ill keep watching the ads and garage sales, who knows I might get lucky
        Keep looking. You should start to see a spike up going into the fall and spring as some people just got a bike and decided it wasn't for them after the summer and those that stayed with it are going to be trading up.

If you are just starting out just get some road tires for the MTB. I assume since you are removing the front suspension you can't lock out the suspension.

I can lock out my suspension and if I have road tires on it I can sustain 22 MPH over a 40K. A few MPH under what I can do on the tri bike. I do it when the trails are too wet to ride and need to ride the MTB over the tri bike.
        Originally posted by Denny
        I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

I ride a 2002 Trek 1000 58cm not selling but if it goes for the right $$
          I'll upgrade....

Last edited by robert; 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I need a 54cm frame, i know trek and specialized are brands to look for. what other brands should i keep watch for and which to avoid?

Comment

Just stay away from the cheap generic bikes.
              Cannondale, Fuji, Giant are other good brands.
              Performance Bike sells some other nice brands.
              Test ride as many you can before deciding which one to buy
              Yes bike stores will let you test bikes. G/L

Comment

Entry level Nashbar Aluminum Frame with Partial Carbon fork $450
                Last edited by robert; 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM.

Comment

i'm still kicking myself for selling my Cervelo P2. I bought it for 600 bucks off a GI, rode it for a season then sold it for 1800. Tri bikes are no joke, the prices go from expensive to outrageous. but they are IMO the sexiest looking road bikes on the market. I'd recommend going to a bike shop, finding the brand/fit that you want, and then checking out CL and see if anybody's selling the bike you want.

there's a 54cm cervelo, i'm sure its already sold tho since its an old ad, but just an example. you're lucky because you're small, most Tri bikes are in that size range.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

I bought a brand new Specialized Allez road bike a while back from the previous year's offerings on Ebay. I think I got it for about $550 or so.

Comment

Look into Scatante or Fuji. If you're in the DFW area you can stop by a Performance Bike store and find some bikes that'll get you more for the money.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I'm in Waco, there is a bike shop here but entry level bike (Trek 1.1) is about $700, think the best thing is to save up for one.

Comment

Can't go wrong with Trek. I ride a 1.5 and love it.

Comment

Dang front fork won't work, now might have to hunt for a cheap one just for now.

Comment

Just got an email from RBM they have there 2011 bikes on sale

Comment

Working...
                              X