need a receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a receiver

my sony receiver took a shit and i dont really have the money to buy a new high dollar replacement at the moment, and dont want to buy a new "ok" one to hold me over, only to have to buy a better one again down the road. before i turn to craigslist or ebay, i wanted to see if anyone on here had a good used one for sale. thanks in advance!

Price range? I have a couple Onkyo's depending on your needs.

Comment

I have three Onkyos I would sell you pretty cheap, but they all have the typical dreaded Onkyo HDMI handshake issue. Personally, I would NEVER own another Onkyo. It's frustrating as hell.

Comment

Sony

I have this Sony let me know if your interested.
        Shoot me an offer, also have the Sony Subwoofer

Comment

I'm always intrigued when hearing about people's Onkyo HDMI handshake issues. I've yet to experience any problems with three different Onkyo AVRs.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
            I'm always intrigued when hearing about people's Onkyo HDMI handshake issues. I've yet to experience any problems with three different Onkyo AVRs.
            Everyone else I know personally that has Onkyo receivers has experienced the same issues, and it's very well documented across the internet, so thousands of others have experienced it as well. Your time is probably coming. That, or you're just very lucky. But in cases like this, it's foolish to let your own personal experience overshadow the glaring reality that as a whole, Onkyo can't get their shit straight.

Just because Magic Johnson is healthy as a horse doesn't mean that AIDS ain't really so bad.

Comment

You keep repeating the same old bullshit, in every single Onkyo thread. And Jared and I speak up, every time. We have 4 between the two of us, and they all are giant pieces of shit. Don't take our word for it, google Onkyo HDMI handshake and you'll have enough material to keep you reading for months.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                Everyone else I know personally that has Onkyo receivers has experienced the same issues, and it's very well documented across the internet, so thousands of others have experienced it as well. Your time is probably coming. That, or you're just very lucky. But in cases like this, it's foolish to let your own personal experience overshadow the glaring reality that as a whole, Onkyo can't get their shit straight.

Just because Magic Johnson is healthy as a horse doesn't mean that AIDS ain't really so bad.
                Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                You keep repeating the same old bullshit, in every single Onkyo thread. And Jared and I speak up, every time. We have 4 between the two of us, and they all are giant pieces of shit. Don't take our word for it, google Onkyo HDMI handshake and you'll have enough material to keep you reading for months.
                I do not deny the handshake issue, I simply state that I have never experienced it. I've had several Onkyo receivers myself. I got rid of a Sony receiver because of being problematic. You claim to have had issues with Onkyo and I believe you. I personally have not. Even on my old 507 (using relatively cheap Dayton HDMI cables) plugged into DISH DVR, Magnavox, Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony HDTV/Blu-ray gear. Never a single handshake issue as of yet. And most of these so-called major handshake issues are often easily fixed using a simple mediabridge HDMI switch or changing the power on sequence of your A/V gear. And sometimes resolved with firmware updates to one or more component.

Comment

I do not deny the handshake issue, I simply state that I have never experienced it. I've had several Onkyo receivers myself. I got rid of a Sony receiver because of being problematic. You claim to have had issues with Onkyo and I believe you. I personally have not. Even on my old 507 (using relatively cheap Dayton HDMI cables) plugged into DISH DVR, Magnavox, Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony HDTV/Blu-ray gear. Never a single handshake issue as of yet. And most of these so-called major handshake issues are often easily fixed using a simple mediabridge HDMI switch or changing the power on sequence of your A/V gear. And sometimes resolved with firmware updates to one or more component.
                  Changing the power on sequence doesn't do shit. With mine, it comes on just fine about 25% of the time. The rest of the time, the only fix is to let it warm up while also turning the receiver on and off over and over again until it works. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes. Sometimes an hour. What a beating.

Comment

Changing the power on sequence doesn't do shit. With mine, it comes on just fine about 25% of the time. The rest of the time, the only fix is to let it warm up while also turning the receiver on and off over and over again until it works. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes. Sometimes an hour. What a beating.
                    Might be a bad unit right out of the box. FYI: Knew someone with a 608 that had similar issues. Reportedly, even with the DISH DVR. Installed a HDMI/HDCP compliant media bridge switch between the components. Resolved all problems. Spent about $30 on the switch. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 Found the suggestion on a thread on avsforum

Comment

Might be a bad unit right out of the box. FYI: Knew someone with a 608 that had similar issues. Reportedly, even with the DISH DVR. Installed a HDMI/HDCP compliant media bridge switch between the components. Resolved all problems. Spent about $30 on the switch. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 Found the suggestion on a thread on avsforum
                      So, your solution, to fix a problem, that shouldn't be a problem to begin with; is to spend more money after dropping several hundred on a receiver that's supposed to be high quality? How about Onkyo man the fuck up, and fix or swap out all the problematic receivers? There's only a couple hundred thousand of them out there....

I'm not spending a fucking DIME to correct THEIR problem. I just won't ever buy another, and will do my best to let everyone know what a fucking pile they are. It's getting to the point where I'm now having to wait 5+ minutes for the signal from my cable box to come through.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that for use in the spare room. I plan on just getting something different for my living room. Just over it. What's worse are the stories of how Onkyo treats customers when they try to get the issue corrected. I'll just steer clear of them in the future.

Comment

So, your solution, to fix a problem, that shouldn't be a problem to begin with; is to spend more money after dropping several hundred on a receiver that's supposed to be high quality? How about Onkyo man the fuck up, and fix or swap out all the problematic receivers? There's only a couple hundred thousand of them out there....

I'm not spending a fucking DIME to correct THEIR problem. I just won't ever buy another, and will do my best to let everyone know what a fucking pile they are. It's getting to the point where I'm now having to wait 5+ minutes for the signal from my cable box to come through.
                          I wish mine only took 5 minutes. I just got home and I'm fucking dealing with it right this second.

Comment

I wish mine only took 5 minutes. I just got home and I'm fucking dealing with it right this second.
                            It will get that way eventually. My PS3 and XBox started @ 5 mins, then gradually took longer and longer until they quit working completely. Both are now hooked directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver. You know how badly it sucks to watch a blu ray and listening to the shitty ass speakers that are built in to the tv?

Comment

It will get that way eventually. My PS3 and XBox started @ 5 mins, then gradually took longer and longer until they quit working completely. Both are now hooked directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver. You know how badly it sucks to watch a blu ray and listening to the shitty ass speakers that are built in to the tv?
                              In my bedroom, I bypassed the receiver like that and ran HDMI straight from the PS3 to the TV, but then ran optical from the PS3 to the Onkyo for audio. I don't get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD this way, but 5.1 in the bedroom is good enough. You should try that. It's way better than the TV speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X