Just starting to run - any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting to run - any tips?

Going to test with a fire department in a few weeks so I've decided to start running. This dept. requires a mile run, some I've seen require a mile and a half. I feel like the physical side is definitely a place where I can shine as I work out religiously and am in good shape. I went and bought some good running shoes (had them look at my feet and recommend some, then tried on like 8 pairs). Ended up with some Brooks support style shoes.

So I went and ran exactly a mile through my neighborhood (very hilly) after a leg workout (probably not the best time, but at least my heart rate was up). Ran it in 8:36 seconds.

Didn't get much soreness from that run. Waited a few days and went to the treadmill to run. Ran a 7:40 mile on the treadmill and completed 5 miles in about 50 minutes (only ran 2.5-3 miles intermittently, jogged/speed walked the rest).

Now I have some extreme soreness on the top of my feet and front of my shins, especially bad on my right side.

Tried to run this morning but only made it one lap before I decided to give it a rest until this pain subsides a bit.

So, any tips on what is wrong with my foot/shin and how to take care of it and additionally, any tips on decreasing your mile/mile and half run times?

Top of the foot pain -

Do you have redness or swelling? If so you might have some trauma to the metatarsals. If you touch it you'll feel the pain. Sort of a stabbing pain.

If no stabbing pain then most likely your shoes are too tight. Loosen up the laces and possibly try re-lacing.

You can look over this article:

Front of shins:

The pain is shin splints. Most likely from not running much and putting on a pair of supportive running shoes which don't let you foot move as it did before thus stressing different ligaments, tendons and muscles in the lower leg.

Take some anti-inflamtories like ibuprofen. Ice it down 20-30 minutes a couple of times a day. What I do is put a tongue depressor in a dixie cup full of water and put it in the freezer until iced. Then just rub the cup up and done the lower leg. After down, just put the cup back in the freezer.

You can also use some kinesio-tape. You can pick it up at Dick's or Sports Authority and probably some other places as well. Go on youtube and look for kinesio shin splints.

Unfortunately the best thing for shin splints is rest and recovery.
    Originally posted by Denny
    I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
      Top of the foot pain -

Do you have redness or swelling? If so you might have some trauma to the metatarsals. If you touch it you'll feel the pain. Sort of a stabbing pain.

If no stabbing pain then most likely your shoes are too tight. Loosen up the laces and possibly try re-lacing.

You can look over this article:

Front of shins:

The pain is shin splints. Most likely from not running much and putting on a pair of supportive running shoes which don't let you foot move as it did before thus stressing different ligaments, tendons and muscles in the lower leg.

Take some anti-inflamtories like ibuprofen. Ice it down 20-30 minutes a couple of times a day. What I do is put a tongue depressor in a dixie cup full of water and put it in the freezer until iced. Then just rub the cup up and done the lower leg. After down, just put the cup back in the freezer.

You can also use some kinesio-tape. You can pick it up at Dick's or Sports Authority and probably some other places as well. Go on youtube and look for kinesio shin splints.

Unfortunately the best thing for shin splints is rest and recovery.
      no redness, just pain as i lift my toes on the top of my foot and pain in my shin as i rotate my whole foot up. <---sounds strange i know, but thats the best explanation i can give.

i did notice after the 5 miles i had to untie my shoes cause they were too tight.

i'll start on the ibuprofen and ice it. the test gives you 14 minutes to run the mile so it's not like i am at risk to not pass, but i want to be at the top of the class.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
        no redness, just pain as i lift my toes on the top of my foot and pain in my shin as i rotate my whole foot up. <---sounds strange i know, but thats the best explanation i can give.

i did notice after the 5 miles i had to untie my shoes cause they were too tight.

i'll start on the ibuprofen and ice it. the test gives you 14 minutes to run the mile so it's not like i am at risk to not pass, but i want to be at the top of the class.
        14 minutes to run a mile? Are you carrying a roll of fire hose or something.

You should be able to walk that!!!

Good luck on the pain!

Comment

Are you carrying a roll of fire hose or something.
          I carry one every time I run.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

the other jonny in 3...2...1..
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I had problems with shin splints for a while. A few things worked for me and allowed me to continue to run (play rugby actually, but there's a lot of running involved). One was to warm up (more) slowly prior to running. After the warm up I'd do lots of calf and lower leg stretching. I'd ice after activity, similar to what OldGuysRule described.

Comment

14 minutes to run a mile? Are you carrying a roll of fire hose or something.

You should be able to walk that!!!

Good luck on the pain!
                thanks for the tips.

what is a good mile time to shoot for? keep in mind that i don't exactly have a 'runners build'. i powerlifted for a while @ 230lbs, i have since cut down to 190lbs so i am lean but still pretty bulky for running imo.

Comment

you should be able to run it in under 6:30 easily..

Comment

any training schedules to increase mile and mile and half times?

i've heard doing 5 miles 2x a week @ around 10 min mile pace, then doing a more aggressive 3 mile run 1 time a week is good with an all out effor 1x every 2 weeks is the best.

the week of the test should i take off completely (from weights and running)?

Comment

Run softer? I dunno. Never had a problem with shin splints. When I run, I run 3-4 miles at a time and I get a little soreness but never anything that is debilitating. I usually pace at about an 8 minute mile with inclines and declines (live in central TX where it's a little hilly). Good luck with the Fire Depts though.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I used to run long distance track back in the day, now if I run (especially not on a track) my knees, ankles, feet, shins, all hurt I changed to an elliptical and it's all much better and with the resistance up it's a much better cardio workout in my opinion.

As for you running a mile in 14 minutes, that is a fast paced walk speed and a pretty low standard that they require. You don't need any training/practice for that obviously

Comment

Two biggest things that helped me run w/o pain at a slightly older age...

1. Taking longer to stretch
                          2. A few warm-up exercises. Probably the biggest one is simply tapping each foot 50-100 times before starting. Takes no time at all but warms up the difficult to stretch muscles.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                            any training schedules to increase mile and mile and half times?

i've heard doing 5 miles 2x a week @ around 10 min mile pace, then doing a more aggressive 3 mile run 1 time a week is good with an all out effor 1x every 2 weeks is the best.

the week of the test should i take off completely (from weights and running)?
                            If you only a few weeks out there isn't much you can do other than get some rhythm. Work on trying to get a 180 revolution per minute on your legs.

If I only had a few weeks I'd do:

1 time a week - 60 minute run, nice and easy, no rush, time on the feet
                            1 time a week - intervals on a track, 8x400m or 4x800m (warm up a mile, cool down a mile)
                            3 times a week - 30-45 minute run, nice and easy, no rush, time on the feet
                            1 time a week - threshold run for 30 minutes. This run you should feel like you are running, just below your "I'm out of breath" pace. This should be a steady pace meaning 3 miles into the run your pace should be what it is after a mile in the run. Steady. This will teach pace.

You really need 6 days to make improvement in running at the very least.

Sounds like you have enough strength so I'd skip the hills. Plus really no time to see the benefit. During my strength phase of training I'd run hills with a 20lb weight vest. Unfortunately running with a weight vest kills your running efficiency and is only beneficial after a few weeks without the weight vest as your body adjusts to your new leg power.

As far as taking off, its only a mile. I would definitely stop weights but I'd probably run at least two times the week leading up to the test. First one maybe a short threshold run (30 minutes total, 10 minutes where you feel it) and the second intense one no more than two days before the test and, believe it or not, the day before is preferable (24 hour rest period.) Maybe a 15-20 minute run with some a couple of 20 second sprints thrown in.

When I'm tapering for an tri I'll do an intense bike the day before hopefully on the trail I'm going to ride. It is a short and intense workout, 10 minute warm up, 2.5 minutes at 95% max, 30 seconds at max, 10 minute cool down. Immediately afterwards I'll fill up on protein and glycogen to soak the muscles.

I do back off volume but I do swim, bike and run in the week leading up to the race. All workouts pretty intense and I'm glycogen loading the entire week.

Comment

You improve speed by the shorter interval training that oldguysrule mentions. I suggest 400s and 800s at a faster pace than your 1.5mi time

Comment

Working...
                              X