No announcement yet.

Can anyone modify a thermostat housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone modify a thermostat housing?

I'm looking for a way to get an e-fan thermostat into the coolant flow. Is there a way to modify the housing pictured to accommodate one or should I just get a sensor that will read from the radiator?

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Yeah, there's a bunch of ways to do it - but you can thread that one directly (which may have fragile threads) or weld a threaded bung to it.

Comment

I'd definately just get one for the radiator. It's just another place to cause a leak and it would look like ass (even a clean fab job).

Comment

My car uses the kind that just pushes through the fins on the radiator. It's probably not the most accurate way of doing things, but with some adjustment seems to work fine. The only thing I'd say is that it's subject to coming on when I stop at a light just from the underhood temps as opposed to the water temps! LOL! BUT it keeps my car right at 195 pretty much CONSTANTLY.

Comment

You can drill a hole right there in that flat spot and tap some threads enough to hold the sensor. I've done the exact same thing before on my old CJ when I put a late model 4.0EFI motor in it. The radiator option will work, but the further you get away from the motor, the less time you will have to shut it down if the gauge starts reading hot. If you hit 260+ degrees at the radiator, you may have already done blowed it up...

Comment

Weld a threaded bung in... Much cleaner. Just my .02

Comment

Working...
            X