Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos coach, Josh McD is on a very short leash

Bowlen: 'This has been a very trying season for all of us'

To hear him tell it, Josh McDaniels won't be dwelling on whether the Broncos' problems on and off the field will cost him his job.

However, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen made it clear Monday night that his second-year coach is on a very short leash.

"This has been a very trying and disappointing season for all of us," Bowlen said in a written statement, according to The Denver Post. "We haven't had the success we had hoped to achieve. Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position. However, with five games left in the 2010 season, we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise."

Earlier Monday, McDaniels said his only focus is on trying to salvage a 3-8 season sullied by a videotaping scandal that cost him and the team $50,000 each and resulted in a subordinate's firing over the weekend.

"It's not, you know, not my decision, not something that's in my control," McDaniels said of his job status. "I'm just going to worry about what I can focus on and try to control the things that I can control."

In a separate conversation Monday, Bowlen told AOL Fanhouse, "I'm not interested in making a coaching change."

McDaniels has two years and nearly $7 million left on his contract, and team owner Pat Bowlen is still on the hook for millions more he owes Mike Shanahan, whom he fired last year.

In a conference call on Saturday to discuss the videotaping scandal, Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said Bowlen still believes in the brash, young coach he hired away from Bill Belichick's staff in New England 22 months ago.

Ellis said the illicit videotaping of a San Francisco 49ers practice in London last month by fired video chief Steve Scarnecchia and McDaniels' failure to immediately report it "does not sway Mr. Bowlen's feelings about Josh one way or the other."

McDaniels seemed melancholy Monday, a day after losing for the 16th time in the last 21 games, the worst stretch in Denver in four decades.

"Nobody likes to have that kind of attention," McDaniels said when asked how he was handling the heavy criticism he's facing nationally. "Certainly, I'm not oblivious to that. I'm human. I know what we're about here. I know what I'm about here."

McDaniels also addressed reports that during a confidential staff meeting last week he had minimized the scope of the scandal relative to New England's own scandal, where an NFL investigation found systemic videotaping of opponents and levied heavy penalties.

He said his staff meetings are supposed to be confidential "and so to hear something out there about something that was said is disappointing. Again, I don't know exactly what that was or who said it and I'm not going to go chasing ghosts about what that is."

Watch all the action from Sunday all over again -- online and in HD. Save 50% with a Midseason Subscription! Learn More.
    McDaniels said he didn't think his staff was splintered and that he believes his assistants remain loyal.

"I have a lot of faith and trust in our staff, believe in them very much and I know they're going to work very hard this week and the rest of the season as we go forward," McDaniels said.

Belichick declined to discuss the videotaping incident in Denver, which has put New England's 2007 scandal back in the spotlight.

"I'm really focused on the Jets," Belichick said in a conference call Monday.

Although the Broncos haven't been to the playoffs since 2006, Bowlen has never in his 27 years as owner had a team dealing with the double-whammy of front office and on-field issues like he does now.

The Broncos have usually been competitive into December even in their down years.

The franchise was busted for salary cap violations during its Super Bowl years in the late 1990s, but while there was some outrage around the league, there were no calls for Shanahan's ouster or fans voicing their discontent by bolting the stadium early or leaving seats empty altogether.

Paid attendance of 72,736 at Invesco Field on Sunday was the lowest since the stadium opened a decade ago, and by the time the Broncos' fourth-quarter rally fell one drive short in their 36-33 loss to St. Louis, most of the seats were empty.

The Broncos are 3-8 for the first time in 20 years and are allowing a league-worst 29.4 points a game, leaving agitated fans pining for the days when Peyton Hillis and Jay Cutler were playing in Denver and not starring in the Midwest.

On a dreary day in which the Broncos found themselves trailing by three touchdowns to a team that hadn't won a road game in a year, Hillis was collecting 194 yards and three touchdowns for the Cleveland Browns and Cutler was throwing four touchdown passes for the Chicago Bears, only adding to Denver's discontent.

Pro Bowl voting

The Pro Bowl ballots are open, so vote for your favorite players to earn a spot in the Jan. 30, 2011, event in Honolulu's Aloha Stadium.
    Things don't get any easier for McDaniels or the Broncos, who play their next three games on the road, starting with Kansas City on Sunday.

That's a rematch of the game two weeks ago in which Chiefs coach Todd Haley refused to shake McDaniels' hand after the Broncos coach chose to keep blitzing a gimpy Matt Cassel well into the fourth quarter, giddily chest-bumped his players after touchdowns and challenged calls with the blowout victory well in hand.

"There's a lot of (expletive) being talked about you," Haley said as he wagged a finger at McDaniels.

Haley apologized the next day for the breach in post-game coaching etiquette.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Good fucking riddance.... Should have kept Mike Shanahan, dumbass Pat Bowlen!

they shouldve never fired shanahan
    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
    Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
      they shouldve never fired shanahan
      Shanahan had gotten stale as well, he needed to go. But the rush to hire Mcd was foolish. They should have waited. BUT, I think this will help Denver in the long run in terms of getting an experienced coach.

Comment

Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!
        Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
          Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!
          I'm curious to see if this actually happens. If Tebow fails, mcdaniels is gone.

Comment

I don't see how they're going to put this on Kyle Orton. The guy is having his best season ever. Just so happens it comes on the back of his defense and running backs not getting anything done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
              I don't see how they're going to put this on Kyle Orton. The guy is having his best season ever. Just so happens it comes on the back of his defense and running backs not getting anything done.
              cause he dosent sell sell sell. and its sad that its true.
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

McDaniels is I'd say about 4 games from being fired as the Broncos Head Coach. lost 17 of their last 22 games under coach Josh McDaniels.

Still have....

@ Arizona
                @ Oakland
                Houston
                San Diego

I don't see Broncos winning but one of those games and that's a big maybe.

Champ Bailey FTMFW!!!! Dwayne Bowe got shut the fuck out all game.
                Last edited by papapepper; 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I think they could beat all of them except sandy eggo.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
                    Rivers and the Sandy Twats just lost to Oakland. Not to mention some of their other horrible losses this season. Just saying...
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Did you see them play yesterday? LOLZ

Comment

I didn't. I also forgot Oakland already set a franchise record for points scored earlier this season against Denver.

Mostly I just want him to stay for another season so Jeff and Sean can suffer a little longer.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I didn't. I also forgot Oakland already set a franchise record for points scored earlier this season against Denver.

Mostly I just want him to stay for another season so Jeff and Sean can suffer a little longer.
                          Now that's fucked up. Sad they still owe Mike Shanahan quite a bit of money.

I just think Josh is way in over his head with a HC job.

Comment

Comment

Life is suffering - Buddha.

Comment

Working...
                              X