.45 load problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .45 load problems?

I'm using a Kimber using full size and loading 185gr Hornady XTP Hollow points. I'm using 8.3gr of HS-6. COL is 1.225. The issues I'm having are them feeding into the chamber. Sometimes I'll have to give the slide a little tap to fully be ready to shoot. Happens with both my Wilson Combat and Factory Kimber mags.

Some people have told me it's the new gun and needs to wear off the rigid edges. I think the bullets may be too short. Like they're not sliding up the feed ramp smoothly.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
    I'm using a Kimber using full size and loading 185gr Hornady XTP Hollow points. I'm using 8.3gr of HS-6. COL is 1.225. The issues I'm having are them feeding into the chamber. Sometimes I'll have to give the slide a little tap to fully be ready to shoot. Happens with both my Wilson Combat and Factory Kimber mags.

Some people have told me it's the new gun and needs to wear off the rigid edges. I think the bullets may be too short. Like they're not sliding up the feed ramp smoothly.

Any ideas?
    You might want want to try a little crimp, it's possible you have too much bell, or too much lip on your case and it's hanging up.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      You might want want to try a little crimp, it's possible you have too much bell, or too much lip on your case and it's hanging up.
      That is what someone asked me as well. If i was crimping. I have the die just normally don't crimp any pistol ammo. I'll also try moving the expanding die up. The problem i was having before was it not expanding enough and taking off some of the copper jacket. So i opened up a bit. Maybe too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
        That is what someone asked me as well. If i was crimping. I have the die just normally don't crimp any pistol ammo. I'll also try moving the expanding die up. The problem i was having before was it not expanding enough and taking off some of the copper jacket. So i opened up a bit. Maybe too much.
        Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I crimp ALL my pistol ammo. I found it to be more reliable if it was crimped. (Slight crimp).

Comment

I'm gonna try the crimp on my next 50 rounds. I mic'd some PMC FMJ rounds and they Mic at 1.250-1.260. My COL was at 1.125. Should I extend them? Also I'm loading hollow point.

Comment

Working...
          X