To load or not to load nuclear 10mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To load or not to load nuclear 10mm

I've been debating how hot I really want to go with 10mm. Recently some HS-6 load data appeared from Hodgdon which shows to kick a 135gr in the ass @ 1450fps. That's fast - that's stupid fast. The pressure shows to be 36,900 psi. The SAAMI max blow your shit up number is 37,500. So it's knocking on the door. I'm wondering if El Camino or anyone else that loads 10mm has ever tried nuclear recipes.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

How much do you like your gun?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
      How much do you like your gun?
      I can fix it if it blows up, honestly. I don't expect it to though. I just don't want to end up like the guy from Sin City.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I decided to switch to Titegroup and load it to 1500fps but at 35,000psi, much safer but just as deadly. That delivers 638ft/lbs of energy... gasp.

Comment

I love cj's gun talk. I have no idea what he is talking about but it damn sure sounds like it can tear up shit and makes me wonder what some guys do at home on there own with their weapons.

Comment

That delta elite is gonna go
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Just found this post. I got some crazy numbers with Longshot and a 155 grain XTP - 1400 fps with 10.2 grains - a few years ago. And this was through a Glock 29 (3.78" barrel). There's no load data for Longshot in 10mm with 155 grain bullets on Hodgdon's website, but they have one for .40 S&W. So I decided to experiment. All the primers looked good, no signs of pressure. It was a handful.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Tony suffers from a short barrel on one gun, so you just can't get the velocity for the pressure you put into it like you can with a 5" barrel.

I used Steel and had some decent results in the short barrel. Herco was alright too.

My favorite bullets were the speer 220 grain, but crap you can't find anything that size anymore for 10mm. Which is a mystery to me, I've always felt like it was a waste to make super light super fast rounds when it handled decent weights just fine, especially from a short barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                  Tony suffers from a short barrel on one gun, so you just can't get the velocity for the pressure you put into it like you can with a 5" barrel.

I used Steel and had some decent results in the short barrel. Herco was alright too.

My favorite bullets were the speer 220 grain, but crap you can't find anything that size anymore for 10mm. Which is a mystery to me, I've always felt like it was a waste to make super light super fast rounds when it handled decent weights just fine, especially from a short barrel.
                  I've never seen 220gr myself, but I do have some 200gr .40 projectiles. I personally like a good mix of velocity and weight. And I find the sweet spot right at 185gr at around 1400-1500fps. That gives me the ability to take down deer around 100 yards reliably.

Comment

That is a pretty damn stout load right there!

From just my limited experiments, with the short barrel, the higher the bullet weight the closer i came to published chrono levels; which makes sense obviously.

I am pretty sure what I had was Speer Gold Dot. I know it was 220gr.

It might be possible to cast a good heavy 40cal with a gas check, or to find one somewhere. But with your 185gr load above I think you found a sweet spot. Those numbers, in theory, would support 200yd IHMSA big bore, given the right BC/CD.

Comment

damn i wanna do some 45 super.
                      why doesn't this seem as popular as 10mm, with 45ACP being in so many platforms I thought it would start picking up speed.
                      Hypothetically giving me more options of ammo choice than buffalo bore.
                      seems like these hot loads are more 'worth it' if you reload yourself.
                      Even buffalo bore specs seemed conservative to me when researching this. Is that right ?

Comment

Because 45 super brass is way harder to get than 10mm.

Comment

www.starlinebrass.com!
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

10mm is near impossible. Out of 25,000 recovered cases 12 of them were 10mm, just to give you an example.

Comment

www.starlinebrass.com for 10mm too! And .41 AE and .50 AE and .45 Win Mag and .458 SOCOM and .445 SuperMag and...and...and...!
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X