determine road bike size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• determine road bike size?

my inseam is 31.5" and I'm 5'10" one calculation tells me I need a 52cm (inseam x 2.54 x .65) and a chart says 54cm. I guess because I have short legs and a longer torso, but I would feel better without the bike frame in my crotch, so should I go 52cm and adjust the seat and handle bars?

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
    my inseam is 31.5" and I'm 5'10" one calculation tells me I need a 52cm (inseam x 2.54 x .65) and a chart says 54cm. I guess because I have short legs and a longer torso, but I would feel better without the bike frame in my crotch, so should I go 52cm and adjust the seat and handle bars?
    I have a 31.5" inseam @ 6', and I ride a 56cm. A 52 might leave your reach feeling a little cramped up. The charts are just guide-lines, which have never worked for me, plus bike models have different top tube lengths and seat tube angles to throw the numbers off. Try out as many as you can, especially if you're spending a lot of money. I found a Cannondale CAAD5 with full Ultegra STI, aero wheels, clipless pedals, with less than 300 miles on it for $500 on CL.

Comment

so with a 56cm frame it doesnt hit your crotch when standing over it? I think I tried a 56cm and was too tall.

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
        so with a 56cm frame it doesnt hit your crotch when standing over it? I think I tried a 56cm and was too tall.
        Not on this particular bike. Seat tube/top tube angles all come into play. Remember that cycling shoes with cleats on the bottom can also increase your stand-over height.

Comment

You really have to look at and test fit bikes. Every brand is different too. I Have ridden a 56 but my last 2 bikes have been 54's. It just depends on what feels comfortable. I am about 5' 10''. I have a short torsoe and long legs.

Comment

Im the opposite with a longer torso and short legs. Just wondering how small I can go without being cramped on the bike

Comment

Size to the top tube, not the seat tube.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                Size to the top tube, not the seat tube.
                Yeah. You can raise the saddle pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                X