Beef Jerky Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Jerky Recipes

I am firing up the smoker again this weekend and I thought I would try making some jerky while I am at it.

Have any of you guys had luck making jerky on your smoker? Do you have a favorite recipe?

IMHO, jerky should be made at much lower temps than what we usually cook at on a smoker. Every time I've done it with other foods it more or less come out terrible. Edible, but not something I'd think about buying at a store.

I tend to keep the strips at the far end of the smoker and try to hang it if you can. That's my tips, I'm still working to make something superb. I tend to be salt only with some minor spices. I personally don't care for the peppered jerky. The key/hard part is smoking it slowly and pulling it with some moisture still in it - while making sure it is smoked enough to be safe to store/eat.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      IMHO, jerky should be made at much lower temps than what we usually cook at on a smoker. Every time I've done it with other foods it more or less come out terrible.
      I should have stated that I will be doing separately from the rest. I can easily hold temps lower than 150 (I smoke cheese at 90 degrees) and I will probably use a fan this time for more air movement than heat.

I plan on a few different flavors. I hadn't thought about leaving out the pepper since that seems to be the norm. I'll have to try some with out it.

Thanks

Comment

I had some elk jerky made with this stuff and it was fantastic.

Comment

best jerky i ever had was with minced jalapeno peppers smeared on meat before it was dehydrated. a guy at my work used to sell it. he charged 20 a pound and it was awesome.

Comment

If he's still selling it, I'll want a way to get with him for 20 bucks a pound! That sounds delicious.

Comment

all i know is soft beef jerky(snack) is nasty. Ill take some old fashioned robertsons that you cant chew.

Comment

Really? That is some nasty jerky.

Sent from my DROIDX

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Really? That is some nasty jerky.

Sent from my DROIDX
                  Agreed, Robertsons is really overcooked, and too dry.

There used to be a place in Orange Grove, TX when I was growing up that sold the best beef jerky. It was sold in individual sandwich bags at some of the local convienence stores, and out of their drive thru beer barn in Orange Grove.

It was called Pilarsyks or something Czech or German like that.

Comment

I can't stand Robertson's. Waaay too dry.

Comment

Jerky is one thing I haven't attempted to do yet. Not sure if I will, or not. I like jerky, but not enough to eat as much as you would have to smoke at one time.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Any "jerky" that has marks from being rolled or pressed is not jerky to me. Jerky should be hung and smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                          If he's still selling it, I'll want a way to get with him for 20 bucks a pound! That sounds delicious.
                          i work on the flight line now and he is in the factory. i don't think he's selling it anymore or he'd be bugging me to buy some.

they also made one that was just topped with louisiana hot sauce. that one was pretty bad ass too.

Comment

i like buccess jerky its good but 29 a pound.

or central market ones at 18 is semi decent at least around here.

Comment

I didn't get to it this past weekend but I plan on it this Sunday. I did stop by my butcher today to see what he could do for me. He has pretty lean brisket I'm going to try. I'm going to have him slice it 1/4" thick or so but for today, he had some sliced up real thin. So I decided to have a quick test run.

I took 1/2 lb home, cut into strips, marinated it in soy sauce and black pepper for 30 minutes and then hung it in the oven for a few hours at 150 degrees.

Not bad for $2.

This weekend I'll start with thicker strips, marinate it overnight in a few different marinades and then throw some on the smoker and some in the oven again.

Comment

Working...
                              X