new home construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new home construction

Any advice, tips, tricks, things to know?

We are having a house built and signing the contract Saturday. Feel free to chime in with any past experience or knowledge regarding the construction process.

Here are a few things we have heard:

1.) Don't have the a/c unit near the M Bed. Have it on N side of the house.
    2.) Extra caulking around the windows when being installed.
    3.) Have the seat in the M Shower made of block instead of wood in case it leaks.
    4.) Termite control before slab.

Make sure you don't have foil pipes laying around!
    Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Whatever they quoted you, plan for more $.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        As much as 10% more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
          As much as 10% more.
          Why is that? We are signing the contract Sat, and it will have all of the options we have already selected priced in.

Let's just say this house is $200k. What would I be spending $20k on that is not already in the budget?

Comment

Because things will come up, material increases, time overruns, delays, etc.

Also, make sure you are absolutely 100% satisfied with everything and if you have a problem with anything that you get it corrected immediately. It may annoy the builder, but make sure you're present and overseeing the house you'll be living in for the indefinite.

Comment

Because things will come up, material increases, time overruns, delays, etc.
              Also, make sure you are absolutely 100% satisfied with everything and if you have a problem with anything that you get it corrected immediately. It may annoy the builder, but make sure you're present and overseeing the house you'll be living in for the indefinite.
              I will make sure this part does not apply to me. I say that because I don't pass along my costs to someone when "things come up" and I will not tolerate that in this scenario.

For example, I own a business installing window coverings. Last week I quoted a job for $125 install based on the product and location of the install. When I got there "things came up." The house had plaster and was of block. I had to go to the store to get Tapcons, a drill bit, and it took 4 hours instead of 1 hour. I didn't pass along that cost, because I already gave my bid.

Don't get me wrong... there is a big difference in a $125 install and building a house, but the concept should be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny c View Post
                I will make sure this part does not apply to me. I say that because I don't pass along my costs to someone when "things come up" and I will not tolerate that in this scenario.

For example, I own a business installing window coverings. Last week I quoted a job for $125 install based on the product and location of the install. When I got there "things came up." The house had plaster and was of block. I had to go to the store to get Tapcons, a drill bit, and it took 4 hours instead of 1 hour. I didn't pass along that cost, because I already gave my bid.

Don't get me wrong... there is a big difference in a $125 install and building a house, but the concept should be the same.
                Wish it worked out like that...

Comment

Just make sure you read your contract VERY carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                    Wish it worked out like that...
                    Why would it not?

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Just make sure you read your contract VERY carefully.
                    Anything in particular to look for in the contract? I plan on reading it and not moving forward until I understand the verbage.

Comment

Go and inspect the work at least a few times a week. That way they can fix mess-ups as they happen. Our neighbors ordered a jacuzzi tub when they picked out all the options for the house, but they installed a regular tub/shower. If not noticed right away they'd have probably finished the house before they found the screw up. Then they would have tried to smooth it over by giving them some money off the house so they wouldn't have to fix it.
                      92 LX 5.0

Comment

the price of concrete is about to increase about 10% starting at the beginning of the year. shouldn't be a problem if the price is locked on this particular project but it could be one of those additional cost it isn't and pouring begins after the 1st. just FYI.

Comment

Gas line to back porch for a grill, if you have gas available.
                          I would have two runs of cat5 to bedrooms, office, living room etc.
                          I would have two runs of RG6 to living room rather than one
                          Surround sound speaker wiring, in living room, and may also consider kitchen patio etc.
                          Have a "homerun panel" installed for all the above connections to an inside closet with electrical outlets.
                          If you are going to wall mount a TV in any room have the electrical and media connections placed accordingly and have additional bracing in that area.
                          220v outlet in the garage if you use welders, air compressors etc. Also extra outlets in the garage is nice.
                          Have a deeper/wider garage built.
                          May consider 42" cabinets if you are taller.
                          Make sure rooms that don't have ceiling fans are prewired for them (two switches)

Comment

Foam instead of fiberglass in the exterior walls.
                            Shim all the 2x4's during framing.
                            EXTRA OUTLETS EVERYWHERE, especially for Christmas lights.
                            50or60A per leg 220 on the back porch.
                            Above the cabinet outlets for indirect lighting.

Bribe the hell out of all the subs to get extra things done!!
                            Bribe the workers to get extra things done the subs will not do.
                            Buy a few dinners for the workers as it cuts down on their peeing in the corners of the house.

Extra external hose bibs.

Comment

First, who's the builder? Is this the one in Liberty Hill? To "foam" the entire house instead of fiberglass is going to double the cost of the insulation package. In the Austin area climate, it wouldn't be my primary concern. Good vinyl windows, radiant barrier decking and 18" in the attic will be fine. Tyvek moisture barrier is fine if it's installed correctly (especially around windows!). PM me if you have some more questions.

Cost increases of materials should NOT be your problem. Upgrades will cause the costs' to go up, but you can control that. There may be things you want done "spur of the moment" that will cost you a little more, and that's common during construction.
                              Last edited by Vertnut; 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X