World War II (militaria)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II (militaria)

First post since moving over from the "old board," So I thought I would post something a little different.

This past Thanksgiving weekend, my family went up to Enid, Oklahoma where my Grandmother is in a nursing home. She is pretty much on her death bed, so everyone went with the understanding that this would be her last Thanksgiving. My folks have been working on cleaning out the entire house, to get it ready to sale. My Mom asked my Dad and I to go up in the attic, to check one last time if there was anything else up there. She has lived in the house since the early 60's, so It was pretty much a mess. We came across an old chest, and brought it down.

Long story/short my grandpa had served during WWII. The "division" He was in, "stormed" Normandy on D-Day, and was also in the "Battle of the Buldge." He died in 1974, So I never met him. And for whatever reason, It was always kind of Taboo around the family to ask about his time during World War II. Honestly, I didn't know much at all, other than he was there.

The chest we found, contained 100's of pictures, war militaria, diaries, Military maps, and every letter he wrote/received during his time in the War. It was like a time capsule, and everything was all there. The diaries are from the day he left the U.S. for the war, all the way through his Final Discharge. There are 14 "Diary books" in all. Newspaper clippings, flags, and banners, and patches. My Dad and I spent a few hours just trying to take it all in, but there is so much stuff. My Mom had never seen any of this stuff, so she estimates that My Grandpa boxed it up, and it hasn't been opened since sometime in the late 1940's. Alot of it had been destroyed by Mice, but We were also surprised in How good of shape some of the stuff was. anyways, I just wanted to share some of the pics.

Any fair warning. I mean no disrespect to anyone by posting some of these pictures. I am not glorifying any of the items or Nazi culture. I am just displaying, what at one time were tokens of My Grandfathers efforts during World War II.

sigpic

Sorry for the sideways pics...they were uploaded correctly..but I dont know.
    sigpic

Comment

I can hear Maston's tears.

Comment

The knife looks like the kind "Hitler's Youth Army" had.

Comment

That is out freaking standing.

Hint: Never supress our forefather's heroics. Use their stories as tools to create men for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            I can hear Maston's tears.
            LOL He's gonna be crying like a bitch.

Comment

Great save. Spend some time to read it all and if you can share any of it please do.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I think it would be worth it to photograph/transcribe the diaries to a digital source. That way nothing more is lost to the ages.

Comment

The Nazis really flaunted their flag in occuppied territories and it was quite common to remove nazi flags when the allies pushed them out of cities and towns. I've seen one before that was taken in Belgium. It's a part of history and something that absolutely needs to be preserved. The flag with the 14/259 in the corner is a Hitler Youth Banner. Please do whatever it takes to preserve everything. I can understand why your grandfather never wanted to open that box again. What an awesome find!

Comment

god bless your grandfather...it may or may not cross your mind about selling that memorabilia which is worth quite a bit, but dont. My grandfather has a jap sword and flag, but its also "taboo" to speak of it.

Comment

why did some of you pictures come down?
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        why did some of you pictures come down?
                        Im not sure. I'm at work, and cannot view Photobucket links. Which ones are not showing up?

Thanks for the comments. My Dad and I just sat there in the garage reading stuff. It was tough to really find a place to start. The Diaries are really interesting so far as well. Alot of newspaper articles as well. We woudl liek to set everything to the side, and really try to organize it all in a "timeline"
                        fashion. It will be time consuming, but well worth the effort.

And as far as "selling" these items. Im sure there is some collectibility or monetary value to these items, but Im pretty confident, that they will never be offered up for sale. Something I would definitely like to keep within the familyi
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bringit View Post
                          Im not sure. I'm at work, and cannot view Photobucket links. Which ones are not showing up?

Thanks for the comments. My Dad and I just sat there in the garage reading stuff. It was tough to really find a place to start. The Diaries are really interesting so far as well. Alot of newspaper articles as well. We woudl liek to set everything to the side, and really try to organize it all in a "timeline"
                          fashion. It will be time consuming, but well worth the effort.

And as far as "selling" these items. Im sure there is some collectibility or monetary value to these items, but Im pretty confident, that they will never be offered up for sale. Something I would definitely like to keep within the familyi
                          lol, how can we know which ones arnt showing up, if they are... not showing up?

I believe you showed several flags last night? There is only one flag, the knife, and the book showing.
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            lol, how can we know which ones arnt showing up, if they are... not showing up?
                            I dont know, I figured that there would be little red X's where the pictures were not showing up. So, then you could say...Hey man...Pics #3, #5, and #6 aren't showing up.
                            Last edited by Bringit; 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

host your pics here! photobucket sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X