helped making my first set of headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helped making my first set of headers

I have to say I have a new respect for the ability to buy headers of the shelf. Very tedious, time consuming work. These are stainless ls turbo headers with vband flange going in a 96 impala, not really any type of collector due to lack of room in the engine compartment.
    Last edited by turbos66coupe; 09-24-2011, 07:49 PM.
    89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

very nice.
    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

LSx swap?
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        LSx swap?
        Yes its a swapped car. Ls6 I believe.

Comment

Not bad.

minor critique - best practice would have been to lose one of those weld joints on that last primary (right side) so that you leave out at least one welded joint - there's too many cuts.

Comment

Yeah I agree it would help reduce risk of future failure with one less joint.

Comment

I thought you made an extra bend for clearance

Comment

If you haven't tried on yet, I highly recommend using a gas lens to weld stainless- BIG difference.

Comment

and back purge!

Comment

Back purge is nice, but not always an option. In those cases solar flux works good.

Comment

It's way more important with turbo setups. The sugar effect on the inside can break away and destroy turbos.

Comment

Wanna build me an x-pipe?? Lol
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          It's way more important with turbo setups. The sugar effect on the inside can break away and destroy turbos.
                          From what I've heard solar flux isn't all that great but no personal experience with it. I'm sure it has its uses. I'm not much of a welder anyway actually thinking about taking some classes...I know probably not worth it but I can't get my hands on a nice tig welder to practice with any cheaper. just getting my feet wet in fab work. I have been a technician for 8 yrs and got the chance to learn. I love this work though if it paid more I would do it full time, but for now I'm just enjoying the foot in the door.

Cobraman as for your xpipe you could get one much cheaper used to suit your needs.

Thank you for the pointer. Does anyone have expiernce with welding classes or good places to learn/start. I have a hobart 187 mig and use it every chance I get. I want to try TIG.

Comment

Originally posted by turbos66coupe View Post
                            From what I've heard solar flux isn't all that great but no personal experience with it. I'm sure it has its uses. I'm not much of a welder anyway actually thinking about taking some classes...I know probably not worth it but I can't get my hands on a nice tig welder to practice with any cheaper. just getting my feet wet in fab work. I have been a technician for 8 yrs and got the chance to learn. I love this work though if it paid more I would do it full time, but for now I'm just enjoying the foot in the door.

Cobraman as for your xpipe you could get one much cheaper used to suit your needs.

Thank you for the pointer. Does anyone have expiernce with welding classes or good places to learn/start. I have a hobart 187 mig and use it every chance I get. I want to try TIG.
                            Just read info and practice, practice, practice. That's way better and cheaper than an instructor IMO. If you had a company pay for your classes then it would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                              Wanna build me an x-pipe?? I'll pay you in Sonic desserts, maybe. Lol
                              Fixed that for you, kid.

Comment

Working...
                              X