Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Briskets, Ribs and Chickens...need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Briskets, Ribs and Chickens...need help!

Well, I know nothing of how to use a smoker, times to cook, how long to leave the meat wrapped/unwrapped, how much wood, how much charcoal, etc. I know how to season everything is about it. So, therefore I need help!

I bought this: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...20and%20Smoker

I intend on cooking 1-2 briskets, 4-5 racks of baby back ribs and 2 chickens. However, I discovered yesterday upon inspection only 1 half of the damn grill can be used as a smoker since there is a wall between the charcoal and propane side. I intend on everyone eating by 6pm....So, when do I start? What do I start first? Will leaving what is already cooked in the oven on "warm" ruin it? Do I need to buy any special "chicken holder" or will shoving a beer can up it's butt be sufficient? I know how to grill on charcoal and gas, but I have not a clue on this.

TIA for all the help...........and smartass comments.

Too late to start today really and truly smoke it. You could fire it up, get the smoke flowing at around 225-250 and then finish everything in the oven. The RIBS could be fully s moked and finished on the grill.

If the briskets are any bigger than a pound or two...too late.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The point of smoking for 3-5 hours would be to at least get the smoke flavor into the meat. However, generally speaking it's too late to fully cook everything but the ribs.

The chicken...maybe, but I'd be careful with it.

Comment

This is for next weekend.

Comment

Okay, have you checked out the different smoking threads in this section? A lot of various methods, opinions and ideas that are all good. I'd really hate to rehash that stuff.

Comment

I disagree, for the ribs and briskets, you can go the hot and fast method of smoking, meaning you'd need about 6-8 hours of time.

As for the chickens, i'd do them while the ribs and brisket are resting.

Here's the method for hot and fast. (BTW, this is what competition BBQ smokers use and win with)

Get your temp between 325-350 degrees in the smoker

put your brisket and ribs on.

After 1 hour, take the ribs off, and wrap them in foil, then put them back on the pit.

After 2 hours, take the brisket off and wrap it in foil, then put it back on the pit.
            Also, remove the ribs from the grill and place in a cooler, with some towels in the bottom, and close the cooler (no ice, etc... They are going in here to retain heat and finish cooking while wrapped for about 2 hours

After 4 hours, take the wrapped brisket off and place it in a cooler with the ribs. Let it finish cooking in here for two more hours.

Now, lower the temp on the smoker to the mid 200s range and start smoking your chickens. By the time the chickens are done, your ribs and brisket will be ready to come out of the cooler.

Comment

My only tip is you should have bought a better pit. That thing won't last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                I disagree, for the ribs and briskets, you can go the hot and fast method of smoking, meaning you'd need about 6-8 hours of time.

As for the chickens, i'd do them while the ribs and brisket are resting.

Here's the method for hot and fast. (BTW, this is what competition BBQ smokers use and win with)

Get your temp between 325-350 degrees in the smoker

put your brisket and ribs on.

After 1 hour, take the ribs off, and wrap them in foil, then put them back on the pit.

After 2 hours, take the brisket off and wrap it in foil, then put it back on the pit.
                Also, remove the ribs from the grill and place in a cooler, with some towels in the bottom, and close the cooler (no ice, etc... They are going in here to retain heat and finish cooking while wrapped for about 2 hours

After 4 hours, take the wrapped brisket off and place it in a cooler with the ribs. Let it finish cooking in here for two more hours.

Now, lower the temp on the smoker to the mid 200s range and start smoking your chickens. By the time the chickens are done, your ribs and brisket will be ready to come out of the cooler.
                You sir are my hero!! The meat will not be pink in the center by doing it this way?

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                My only tip is you should have bought a better pit. That thing won't last 2 years.
                I guess we will revisit that when the time comes....it's just a cheap way for me to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post

I guess we will revisit that when the time comes....it's just a cheap way for me to learn something new.

I understand that and trust me I was in the same spot you are until I decided I was tired of buying a bbq pit every 2 to 3 years. So I spent the money on a quality pit that is guarranteed for my life. It will pay for it's self in just a few years. The best part is the food that comes off that pit is outstanding and it is so easy to cook on. Alot of new comers to smoking will buy the cheapest pit they can find and easily get frustrated with the cooking process and just give up.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
                    You sir are my hero!! The meat will not be pink in the center by doing it this way?

No, it will be fine. One of the things you really need to invest in is a good meat thermometer.

Temperature is everything you need to know when smoking. Smoker temp and meat temp will be your best friends. I have a dual probe remote thermometer, and it's the best thing I ever bought.

The brisket should be between 180-200 degrees when you place it in the cooler to rest. The ribs should be between 175-190 degrees when you place them in the cooler too.

Your pit will be fine for learning, but he's right, eventually you'll find you want to get a bigger smoker, with more room/quality. I really want to get an upright smoker too, and a big green egg one day.

Comment

Working...
                    X