Need speakers, completely clueless.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need speakers, completely clueless.

I need some speakers, and I just don't know much.

I have an Ion Profile LP record player. Its hooked up to an old receiver (Aiwa AV-D50), and three speakers from an old 5.1 system. Those speakers are just temporary until I can find something better.

Do some home home audio speakers require an amp? I have just been looking for some speakers on CL, but my utter lack of knowledge is keeping me from buying anything.
    I came across these:

Can I just wire those right into me receiver, and that is all I will need? Looks like those say 180W, and my receiver says 230W -Power Consumption-
    I just settled on the ones in the link because its a name I know, and they are huge. I live in a metal building, and can crank my shit up since no one live around me.

Also, if anyone in here has some speakers for sale, let me know. All I'm looking for is big, and loud.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Im also looking to spend around $100. I'm a broke dick.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Your Old set up should run them... May not make it big and loud but should function...

Comment

You may consider buying some cheap 6x9 boxes from Walmart and descent speakers and run them with maybe a bass tube... It would be cheap and effective outside in a metal building

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
          Your Old set up should run them... May not make it big and loud but should function...
          So would the next step be a larger receiver eventually?

The volume knob is fucked on the receiver. I assume its just a potentiometer, but you have to make volume adjustments SUPER slow, or nothing will happen, or sometimes up will be down, and down will be up. Annoying.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
            You may consider buying some cheap 6x9 boxes from Walmart and descent speakers and run them with maybe a bass tube... It would be cheap and effective outside in a metal building
            Well, it's inside a metal building. I have a small living area built inside a metal building. Sheetrocked, and finished out. I just mentioned that, to show I don't live in an apartment.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

That wouldn't hurt... Sony has some descent starter ones out there for about 150...

Comment

Yea it should work... We have something similar in our shop buy I build some cheap 6" boxes and mounted throughout it... Not the loudest but definitely gets the job done

Comment

Your receiver's power consumption and it's power output are two completely different things. It likely has an amp built in and will power surround speakers just fine. You don't need a separate amp for them. You'll want a powered subwoofer, though (which has it's own amp built in).

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    Your receiver's power consumption and it's power output are two completely different things. It likely has an amp built in and will power surround speakers just fine. You don't need a separate amp for them. You'll want a powered subwoofer, though (which has it's own amp built in).
                    Those speakers in the CL Link appear to have two 15" subs, right?
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                      Those speakers in the CL Link appear to have two 15" subs, right?
                      Ah, just checked the link. Those speakers are old. Don't expect them to sound great or last long. Are you wanting something for your home theater or just for jamming to tunes?

Comment

Ah, just checked the link. Those speakers are old. Don't expect them to sound great or last long. Are you wanting something for your home theater or just for jamming to tunes?
                        Strictly to spin records, and get real loud.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

...and cost $100. Sound quality isnt the utmost priority since vinly will never produce a super clear sound.
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            ...and cost $100. Sound quality isnt the utmost priority since vinly will never produce a super clear sound.
                            I wouldn't pay more than $20 for some old speakers like that. You're better off putting your money into something new. If you want loud, get yourself a better receiver/amp and some newer floor speakers.

There are lots of purists who believe vinyl is the best format for true sound quality.

Comment

Working...
                            X