Ladysmith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladysmith?

After a day at the range, i'm worried the girl won't have the presence of mind to rack the slide / clear a dud / etc in the heat of the moment. Moreso I could sense her lack of comfort when handling the small 9mm we originally bought for her.

So, after talking with some friends and officers, it seems the LS is a shoe-in. One officer (former shooting instructor) swears by it, as his wife and daughter both carry one.

I'm curious as to a good price on them, and what if anything i need to look out for. Some people say they love theirs with +p ammo, while other people say the +p will crack the case of the gun. Any truth to that?

Sorry, i'm kind of a firearm noob.

thanks.

I've heard the same about the +P, but have yet to see it for myself. Should be fine with some of the same .38 rounds that have proven themselves to diffuse a situation for years.

A nice little hammerless 5 shot .38 S&W is more of a lady's best friend than a diamond. I have never heard any complaints about them.

I'd check the prices through www.gunbroker.com to get a real world idea of what they're going for. Hit up the next gun show and work them down a bit.

Comment

Find a J frame 357, load it with +p 38, if she ever wants you can load it with 357.

Comment

I wasn't aware the lady smith came chambered in 357 but apparently it does.

LadySmith™ You can't build an effective and correct handgun without first knowing and talking to the actual shooter. That has always been a Smith & Wess

Comment

A friend of mine got the ladysmith with hammer, stainless and 357 mag chambering. I got her the 38 Spl +P loads and she can handle it no problem. Beautiful gun. She got it for a steal, but it is ~$650 new.

Comment

buy a .357 lady smith. a member on here has one, and i was very impressed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
              After a day at the range, i'm worried the girl won't have the presence of mind to rack the slide / clear a dud / etc in the heat of the moment. Moreso I could sense her lack of comfort when handling the small 9mm we originally bought for her.

So, after talking with some friends and officers, it seems the LS is a shoe-in. One officer (former shooting instructor) swears by it, as his wife and daughter both carry one.

I'm curious as to a good price on them, and what if anything i need to look out for. Some people say they love theirs with +p ammo, while other people say the +p will crack the case of the gun. Any truth to that?

Sorry, i'm kind of a firearm noob.

thanks.
              Don't worry, if the gun jams, I'm sure the kick boxing skillz will initiate and take over the situation.

David

Comment

I love this post so much.
                For a female, with minimal handgun experience (or even a lack grip strength in some cases) a revolver is always, always my suggestion.
                Dead Simple, and reliable as anything.

A ladysmith is a little pricey in my opinion. Its a fine gun (and will hold its value)
                If you have the cash, get the ladysmith, but in my personal opinion you are paying a little for the name (S&W).

My girl carries a Ruger SP101 in .357, loaded with .38 hollow points.
                Very similar gun, just a little cheaper.

Also, if you go start looking at small revolvers with the lady, she WILL spot the "Charter Arms Pink Lady", and will probably want it. Its light weight, pink revolver. Its made of aluminum, and is pretty light, which at first glance, seems perfect.
                But, weight is your friend. The heavier the gun, the less the recoil will be felt.
                As fun as the Ruger SP101 is, my girl enjoys shooting my full framed revolver (gp100) because it's like a cap gun with .38's
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                  Don't worry, if the gun jams, I'm sure the kick boxing skillz will initiate and take over the situation.

David
                  Depends on the gun. Buy a .357, and you can shoot 38 +p's all day long.
                  I wouldnt put 45 +p in either of my .45s. Simply because I dont know much about them.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    Depends on the gun. Buy a .357, and you can shoot 38 +p's all day long.
                    I wouldnt put 45 +p in either of my .45s. Simply because I dont know much about them.
                    I haven't shot +p's in my .45 yet but am curious as to how that would go. Will have to give that a shot (pun intended).

David

Comment

Rossi makes a good .38 5-shoot. looks really close to the S&W. My mom has been carrying it for years. Good gun IMO, and they are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                        Rossi makes a good .38 5-shoot. looks really close to the S&W. My mom has been carrying it for years. Good gun IMO, and they are cheap.
                        Brother, I must disagree. I bought a rossi for the girl, prior to the ruger. It is the only revolver I ever saw jam. the cylinder would lock up. We bought it new, and in less than 100 rounds, it would lock up at least once out of every 12 rounds.

Paid $315 new from Academy, and had a hard time selling it. Noone would pay $225. ended up unloading it at a gun show for $200. Ouch. Took 2 gun shows to sell it. We would be stopped every 40 feet by people wanting to buy it, thinking it was a smith.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Dayum these things are getting high!

Fire shots more accurately with a durable centerfire revolver. Shop a selection of .38 special and other centerfire revolvers at Academy Sports + Outdoors.

Ahhh, here we go, perfection:

• Lightweight Alloy Frame for Easy Carry• Stainless steel barrel and cylinder• Snag-Free Enclosed Hammer• Rated for Continuous +P Use Internal Lock ModelSmit

On sale!!!!!

We’re the original online gun dealer. Find thousands of guns for sale at low prices. Buy your guns, ammo, and gun accessories with confidence at Impact Guns.

Oh, and the .38+P is fine ballistic wise:

Of course, it's going to be a little lower than those numbers, notice the test gun had a 4" barrel.
                          Last edited by 03trubluGT; 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

13 oz unloaded. I have this same model. Kyle, let me know if you guys want to take it to the range to see if this is really something y'all will be comfortable using.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

that light for a female? If she can handle it great, but its just gonna kick more..
                              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X