long range shooting weapon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long range shooting weapon.

I'm wanting to buy a rifle to start shooting some longer distances. I haven't shot rifles in a while and the longest shots I ever got to take were 75-100yards.

What I'm looking for: I want something that will require a minimal upfront investment but has potential to be modded and will be able to shoot up-to or further than 1000 yards. To start I just want to be able to shoot up to about 400-500 yards. I'm leaning towards a .300Win Mag or 7mm-08 but I am open to suggestions.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
    I'm wanting to buy a rifle to start shooting some longer distances. I haven't shot rifles in a while and the longest shots I ever got to take were 75-100yards.

What I'm looking for: I want something that will require a minimal upfront investment but has potential to be modded and will be able to shoot up-to or further than 1000 yards. To start I just want to be able to shoot up to about 400-500 yards. I'm leaning towards a .300Win Mag or 7mm-08 but I am open to suggestions.
    7mm-08 probably doesn't belong in this discussion. Are you going to be reloading?

Comment

Eventually I will but that will be down the road some. Why not the 7mm-08?

Comment

Not considering a 308?
        sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I would consider it. I just have already found a couple of rifles in those calibers and I stand to inherit a .308 later in life possibly.

Comment

Why not the 7-08? Ballistically they are almost identical to the .308 with a fraction of the recoil.
            Factory loads are readily available.

I gave up my .308 for the 7-08 and would never go back, for hunting. Now that said if I were building a long range rig I would go 260. Have a built 260 for sale, not a minimal investment, but it is ready to go with reloader, dies, and a couple spare barrels.

Comment

I went with .308 and i love it. I had a 300 win mag and that is no fun to shoot. After about 3 times you're done. I have a TC Encore that i need a barrel for. Already have a scope, mounts, etc. Not sure if i wanted to sell the TC or buy a barrel for it yet. I'd go .308 just imo.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                I went with .308 and i love it. I had a 300 win mag and that is no fun to shoot. After about 3 times you're done. I have a TC Encore that i need a barrel for. Already have a scope, mounts, etc. Not sure if i wanted to sell the TC or buy a barrel for it yet. I'd go .308 just imo.
                That is what I have in 7-08, the Pro Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                  That is what I have in 7-08, the Pro Hunter.
                  If I hunted I might have kept the barrel but I've never been. Nor do i really come into contact with anyone that does regularly. All you use it for is hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                    If I hunted I might have kept the barrel but I've never been. Nor do i really come into contact with anyone that does regularly. All you use it for is hunting?
                    Yep. It only gets pulled outta the safe 2 months out of the year.

Comment

A match remington 700 chambered in .308 is going to be your best bet for long range shooting on a budget. 7mm-08 is a good cartridge as well, but the .260 remington outperforms it 500+. .300WMR is excellent for this but will beat the shit out of you, and it's not cheap.

your problem for "budget" is optics. You're going to need a $1000 scope minimum. That ends your budget build right there.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'll need $1000 scope to shoot 500yards? that doesn't sound right

Comment

"Need" is a flexible term on things like this IMO, but guys that shoot long range competitions spend more than that on optics. You don't absolutely have to have one to make a bullet go 500 yards, but you will inevitably get better results with a better optic. If you have a cheap scope where POI changes when you move left to right, or where the range and elevation don't adjust exactly up/down and right/left it will cause you some frustrations. (not an expert, but I did stay at a holiday in express list night)
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

500 yards is pretty far out. You "could" shoot that far without an expensive scope. But how accurate would you be? Or wanna be?

Comment

Give it a shot. $1000 is a relatively cheap piece of long range glass. You initially said 1000 yards, do you want to buy a piece of glass you'll toss eventually? Do you have a place you can shoot at those ranges?
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X