bcoop i need some advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcoop i need some advise

Its a beautiful day and I have decided to have the people in my class come by the house for some bbq tonight. I wanna do chicken quarters and ribs in the smoker. What would you suggest I do for smoking them. I did a rack of ribs when I first got my smoker and the were a little dry and I never can get chicken breast to come out juicy. I need help. I have a tub that I use on ribs that is awesome. I plan on using it on the chicken too. I have heard to take the skin off to rub the chicken then put it back on for cooking after buttering the inside of it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
    -Fred Sanford

If the ribs were dry, you over cooked them or cooked them too hot. You may be a little late on this though. Ribs can take a long time 5-7 hours, depending on the cut of the rib. To help keep moist you can spray with apple juice, or another liquid that will add flavor. Don't add sauce until the very end, then place over direct heat/flame for just about 2 mins per side. Otherwise the bbq sauce will dry out and burn.

Chicken can be done in a couple of hours. Peel the skin back, put your rub of choice on there, a little butter, and cover back up with the skin. Really though, poultry pulls flavor/moisture from the bones. So what I do is inject with a marinade along the bones. Marinades are endless, but for something quick and easy, the Tony's injectable butter or the jalapeno butter are great. Smoke both at 225 degrees.

As late as it is now though, you're probably better off doing the ribs low and slow on the grill, preferably a second/higher rack than your normal cooking surface, if your grill has one that is. And just smoke the chicken quarters.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

i'd recommend marinading, or brining the chicken for at least an hour

for the ribs, i like a little spray every 30 min or so... I make mine out of bourbon, apple cider vinegar, ginger ale and water. Put it in a spray bottle and give them a nice dose.

Another thing that I think people forget to do when smoking is put some water in a pan below the grate. This will help keep the chamber moist, as it will heat up if it's close enough to the firebox, and create steam.

Comment

As far as ribs go, you can guarantee them to be juicy with the following:

Get a large aluminum tray with a lid. Get a few bottles of Italian dressing. We use the cheapest bottles we can find. Cut ribs individually, place in pan. Pour in the dressing, make sure the ribs are covered. Throw it in the smoker.

200 degrees would be 6-8 hours
        300 degrees would be 3-5 hours

When the meat falls off the bone, they need to be pulled out. You can pull them sooner than that of course.

A little something I do is let them cook covered, then uncovered. This allows some of the smoky flavor to soak in. 2/3 cooking time covered 1/3 uncovered.

I would be willing to bet that you could do the same with chicken quarters.

Make a decent little side dish to accompany them and you're done.

You've pretty much run out of time for traditional smoking. This will net you ribs much quicker.

Comment

Yup, you're too late for the ribs.

Brine the chicken, and make sure there is water in a pan.

Everything you need is covered in those two posts.

Comment

Oh yeah, DON'T FORGET TO PEEL THE SILVERSKIN OFF THE RIBS! That will make them tough and chewy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Oh yeah, DON'T FORGET TO PEEL THE SILVERSKIN OFF THE RIBS! That will make them tough and chewy as well.
              Damn it, it was my first time!!!!

Stop making fun of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                As far as ribs go, you can guarantee them to be juicy with the following:

Get a large aluminum tray with a lid. Get a few bottles of Italian dressing. We use the cheapest bottles we can find. Cut ribs individually, place in pan. Pour in the dressing, make sure the ribs are covered. Throw it in the smoker.

200 degrees would be 6-8 hours
                300 degrees would be 3-5 hours

When the meat falls off the bone, they need to be pulled out. You can pull them sooner than that of course.

A little something I do is let them cook covered, then uncovered. This allows some of the smoky flavor to soak in. 2/3 cooking time covered 1/3 uncovered.

I would be willing to bet that you could do the same with chicken quarters.

Make a decent little side dish to accompany them and you're done.

You've pretty much run out of time for traditional smoking. This will net you ribs much quicker.

Get that shit out of here, son! I need to teach you how to bbq! And for the record, if the meat is falling off the bone, it's actually a little overcooked.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  Damn it, it was my first time!!!!

Stop making fun of me.
                  You're the one that listened to your wife...

Comment

You're the one that listened to your wife...
                    And never again. She is no longer allowed to give any BBQ advice. She is sticking with the side dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                      And never again. She is no longer allowed to give any BBQ advice. She is sticking with the side dishes.
                      She should be sticking with the diaper duty, dishes, and laundry...

LOL. My Dad taught me how to cook.

Comment

Get that shit out of here, son! I need to teach you how to bbq! And for the record, if the meat is falling off the bone, it's actually a little overcooked.
                        Brent, I know you've got the rep around here for awesome cooking. He has smooth ran out of time for what he wants to do. That little tidbit is his only hope.

He could throw that in the oven and have it ready in 3 hours at 350.

I'm well aware that the ribs would be overcooked, but the average person thinks meat falling off the bone is tender and perfect. I do all of my cooking by trying it out. That's the only way I know that I've hit my mark.

With steaks I will under cook them and hit 'em with butter. They will continue to cook in my pyrex covered in press and seal while I prepare the plates with sides.

She should be sticking with the diaper duty, dishes, and laundry...

LOL. My Dad taught me how to cook.

Fcking werd!@!

Granddad and dad taught me, as well.

Comment

If I undercooked my steak, they'd never make it to the grill

I even order my steaks "Blue" at a nice steak house.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            If I undercooked my steak, they'd never make it to the grill

I even order my steaks "Blue" at a nice steak house.
                            I can't do a blue. I like a nice rare. Something about cold beef gets to me. Same reason I don't do sashimi. But I will destroy some cold smoked salmon. Weird how that works.

Comment

I can't do a blue. I like a nice rare. Something about cold beef gets to me. Same reason I don't do sashimi. But I will destroy some cold smoked salmon. Weird how that works.
                              Its all about texture.

This makes me want to stop and get some sushi at Zenna.

Comment

Working...
                              X