Painting my TT2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my TT2s

I traded my old TT2s for Bogart D-10s & ended up not liking the D-10s either. Well I got these for $600 & my old WS6 Rims that had half the clear coat coming off,

Well Gunter the guy I bought them from tried painting them & did a ok job. But I want them to shine. He used this process in this thread on Tech http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/wheels...els-today.html

They look ok. But they are dull & not glossy on two of the rims & have runs in the paint on one. He did say he didnt sand them. I was thinking about buying some sandpaper & sanding them back smooth & then reshooting them & going crazy on the Gloss. Also I have a bad bend in the lip of my rim. Any tricks anyone could suggest to fix the bend.

I know I should Powdercoat them. But at $75 to $100 a rim for powdercoating at 4 rims thats $300 there & then $50 to fix some bends on the lips. I would like to just take my time & do this right so it looks good. Any suggestions on getting this metal smooth & ready to the paint pops & shines really nice would be appreciated!

Also anything I can use on the lugnutz to keep them black from when I use a wrech on them to not take the paint off.

I tried posting pics. But says I have no space.
    Last edited by SEB; 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS
    August Landscaping
    214-779-7278
    Seb's high class.
    He'll mow your grass.
    He'll kick your ass.
    And while his kidney stones pass,
    He'll piss in a glass!

I'd start by purchasing some aircraft stripper. Dont get the spray kind. The brushable type is a little stronger. It will strip all the paint off. Once the paint is gone, scuff them up with a red scotch brite. Apply a few light coats of self etching primer. For $16 you cant go wrong with the spray can ppg form that can be purchased at any english color or ppg dist. Time to choose the paint you want to use. This is were is can get complicated. If you plan to use spray paint, then dont expect them to come out looking extremely shiny. I'd recommend purchasing some decent ppg concept single stage black if you can swing a few extra bucks. If money wasnt an issue base coat/clear coat would be the way to go. If you are going to just spray can them, then at least use some really good dupli color. Remember no matter what paint you use, a few light coats with a flash time of 5-10 min. in between coats will help keep you from running the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by noslow5_0 View Post
      I'd start by purchasing some aircraft stripper. Dont get the spray kind. The brushable type is a little stronger. It will strip all the paint off. Once the paint is gone, scuff them up with a red scotch brite. Apply a few light coats of self etching primer. For $16 you cant go wrong with the spray can ppg form that can be purchased at any english color or ppg dist. Time to choose the paint you want to use. This is were is can get complicated. If you plan to use spray paint, then dont expect them to come out looking extremely shiny. I'd recommend purchasing some decent ppg concept single stage black if you can swing a few extra bucks. If money wasnt an issue base coat/clear coat would be the way to go. If you are going to just spray can them, then at least use some really good dupli color. Remember no matter what paint you use, a few light coats with a flash time of 5-10 min. in between coats will help keep you from running the paint.
      Yeah the guy painted them with a simular process you described, But it looks dull & not Glossy in parts on the rim. You have to get up close to see the flaws. But he admitted he held the paint 6 inchs from the rims & didnt take his time painting them. They still came out pretty good for what he did. But I am picky!

I went & bought some 400 grit paper last nite & I am sanding them smooth. The 400 grit didnt take the paint off. But it did smooth out the paint runs & smoothed out the area's where the paint didnt go on so smooth. Can I still paint over the old black paint he put down if I smoothed it out? Or do I need to put down primer over the old smoothed out Black Paint & re do the steps of Primer & then Paint & then Gloss?

My goal is for the rim to come out Glossy like the paint on the car. He used a primer first on the rim & then let it dry & then painted the rims after he taped them off with a Black Dupli Color Paint with 3 coats on each rim & then hit each rim with 2 coats of clear over the black.

Here is my old TT2s that where powder coated Black & the Powdercoat was just as Glossy as my paint. This is the look im going for!

Last edited by SEB; 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM.
      GOD BLESS TEXAS
      August Landscaping
      214-779-7278
      Seb's high class.
      He'll mow your grass.
      He'll kick your ass.
      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Self etch primer is intended for spot repair and should have a primer coat over it. If painted over self etching primer, the paint may lift from the self etching primer.
        I'm not a big fan of powdercoat on wheels, way to thick. I def. would stick to paint & clearcoat, if curbed or you get a rock chip on the wheels it's a lot easier to repair.
        Are the wheels off the car?
        2 Chronicles 7:14
        If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Originally posted by Up0n0ne View Post
          Self etch primer is intended for spot repair and should have a primer coat over it. If painted over self etching primer, the paint may lift from the self etching primer.
          I'm not a big fan of powdercoat on wheels, way to thick. I def. would stick to paint & clearcoat, if curbed or you get a rock chip on the wheels it's a lot easier to repair.
          Are the wheels off the car?
          Wheels are off the car. The rims in the pic are Powdercoated & those are my old TT2s.

I just bought this other set that looks identical to my old rims. Of course these are the rims im having to redo. Im just curious will I need to sand all the old black paint & primer off the rims to do this right or can I primer over it & then paint & then clear or just sand the old black paint smooth & paint over it with fresh black paint.

I agree on the powder coating. My old TT2s felt like they gained weight after I had them powdercoated & that cost me $300 for all 4 rims
          GOD BLESS TEXAS
          August Landscaping
          214-779-7278
          Seb's high class.
          He'll mow your grass.
          He'll kick your ass.
          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

PM sent
            2 Chronicles 7:14
            If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Working...
            X