ultrasonic vs media tumbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultrasonic vs media tumbling

Has anyone tried one of the ultrasonic cleaners vs a reg old tumbler?

For the amounts i plan to reload the cheap stuff will work just as good. On the other hand you can use the ultrasonic cleaner for more than just brass.

Making my x-mas list

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
    Has anyone tried one of the ultrasonic cleaners vs a reg old tumbler?

For the amounts i plan to reload the cheap stuff will work just as good. On the other hand you can use the ultrasonic cleaner for more than just brass.

Making my x-mas list
    They do work, however from what I've seen it's really only good for smaller quantities. And, they don't usually have the shiniest finish - although clean, it isn't polished. They are very handy, and they clean quickly. Sonic polishers work best with chemical reactions - that's essentially how you get the results. Most guys use a vinegar solution since brass (copper and zinc) is soluble in acid. You can get very similar results dropping your cases in a 20% phosphoric acid solution for 30 seconds. From my experience, unless you throw down some big bucks ($400+) on a high powered sonic cleaner, it's not really worth the money considering you can only clean like 20-50 cases at a time.

In my opinion, the best way to tumble is to use a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media with some soap and water. The media lasts a lifetime, and it will clean every single square inch of a case to a perfect shine.
    Last edited by CJ; 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks cj.

I think a regular ol tumbler is what ill end up with. I really dont shoot alot, but when i do its nice to have accurate hunting rounds.

I only have the patience to reload a 100 at a time. I also have also only shot about 500 rounds in 2 years. Mainly because of the expense of rounds. I'd love to shoot more, but i dont want to just go blast wolf down range.

Comment

how do you feel about these reloading kits

and this tumbler

im wanting to learn to reload my own ammo, especially .300 win mag since im finding out it's a more expensive round than i had thought it was gonna be. and also the usual 9mm, .40 and .38 special

Comment

Originally posted by fonzo View Post

and this tumbler

im wanting to learn to reload my own ammo, especially .300 win mag since im finding out it's a more expensive round than i had thought it was gonna be. and also the usual 9mm, .40 and .38 special
          I have the hornady lock n load setup. Pretty good entry level rig, as it comes with everything you need to get started. I have reloaded about 1000 rounds so far and have not had any problems other than a case getting stuck in a die (not the press' fault).
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            I have the hornady lock n load setup. Pretty good entry level rig, as it comes with everything you need to get started. I have reloaded about 1000 rounds so far and have not had any problems other than a case getting stuck in a die (not the press' fault).
            You reloading "wallet raping .45ACP" for your giggle gun?

I ask because I'm considering getting into it after the first of the year.
            Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
              You reloading "wallet raping .45ACP" for your giggle gun?

I ask because I'm considering getting into it after the first of the year.
              Yes sir, I am reloading 45 mostly, but I have also done 223.

Reloads work great in my open bolt mac, because I make sure to apply a bit more taper crimp.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

and this tumbler

I would really recommend a Dillon RL550B for that kind of money. You can get into them for $420 complete with a die set and shell plate.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

and this tumbler

I use that tumbler with Flitz and corn cob media. The results aren't as nice as the stainless steel media in a rotary tumbler, but it is much cheaper. I get the media from Walmart.

I bought the Lee Pro 1000 progressive and sold it. I have the Lee single stage now and it works well. I added an RCBS electronic powder measure and buy Redding dies. For fast trimming, I use the Lee trimmer on a cordless drill, but I have the Redding lathe style when I want to take my time.

All the brands are pretty good depending on your budget and features you want. Lee brand gets picked on but it works and it is very affordable. The high dollar Dillon and Redding have their issues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FRider View Post
                    I use that tumbler with Flitz and corn cob media. The results aren't as nice as the stainless steel media in a rotary tumbler, but it is much cheaper. I get the media from Walmart.

I bought the Lee Pro 1000 progressive and sold it. I have the Lee single stage now and it works well. I added an RCBS electronic powder measure and buy Redding dies. For fast trimming, I use the Lee trimmer on a cordless drill, but I have the Redding lathe style when I want to take my time.

All the brands are pretty good depending on your budget and features you want. Lee brand gets picked on but it works and it is very affordable. The high dollar Dillon and Redding have their issues as well.
                    Try switching to fine walnut media from Harbor Freight, they sell 25lb boxes of it for sand blasting. Use that with your flitz, and I bet you'll find that it polishes your bass much better than corn cob. A hell of a lot cheaper too.

Comment

you tube video had lemishine (available at grocery stores) being used in ultrasonic and cases came out looking new.

The stainless steel pin media in a Thumbler's Tumbler is high dollar, but media lasts a lifetime. The brass comes out looking new. They use Lemishine and tumble wet.

Can the vibratory tumblers handle wet tumble with the stainless media?

Comment

Originally posted by FRider View Post
                        you tube video had lemishine (available at grocery stores) being used in ultrasonic and cases came out looking new.

The stainless steel pin media in a Thumbler's Tumbler is high dollar, but media lasts a lifetime. The brass comes out looking new. They use Lemishine and tumble wet.

Can the vibratory tumblers handle wet tumble with the stainless media?
                        No, you need a rotary tumbler for wet media.

Comment

Working...
                        X