Running... Cardio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running... Cardio...

I Have been training for my half marathon in dec... And when i run more then 2 miles i get a sharp pain in my right ribs/lung... and have to walk for a bit then it goes away but comes back...

Anyone know what it might be?

TIA

Originally posted by DallasGT01 View Post
    I Have been training for my half marathon in dec... And when i run more then 2 miles i get a sharp pain in my right ribs/lung... and have to walk for a bit then it goes away but comes back...

Anyone know what it might be?

TIA
    i don't run much anymore (hate it) but when i used to run i would only get the crap you are describing when i would breathe in through my mouth/ loose my breathing pattern.

Comment

I get the same thing, its because I'm fat
      -1997 Supra- mid 8 second street car
      -1993 Cobra- 700rw
      -2012 CTS-V- 9 second daily driver
      -1991 Coupe- LSA/TT/4L80 in the making
      -2007 GSXR 1000- built turbo bike

Comment

Just a side stitch, you got to run through it. It is the muscles in your diaphram cramping up. It can be a few other things too, lots of theories. If you don't run through it, it will never go away. You can try exhaling when your foot on the opposite side of your body from the stitch goes down. That has never done anything for me but some people say it helps.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Run slower? Hydrate better? You're training for a half marathon...I'm assuming that it's your first. Don't expect to maintain a 6 minute mile throughout the entire thing.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Get out of your comfort zone and push yourself. You've got to run through it. Make sure you spend a few minutes stretching before you run and do a good warmup as well. That should help. Got me through 6 years of cross country and track.

Comment

yep. you have to run through that. no big. your stretching will benefit you most after the run. =) good luck on the run!
              1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

What sort of pace are you running? When do you run? Do you eat before you run? If so, how soon after eating are you running?

Form can also play a part in getting a side stitch.

Here is an article by Dr. Gangemi referencing a recent study on stretching. http://barefootrunners.org/story/sto...i-aka-sock-doc
                You can take it or leave it...there is a new study on something every week! One thing I can say for sure is NEVER stretch cold and NEVER stretch an injury!

I'll see you at the half! Good luck, Bro!
                -Jonny
                2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

It's amazing to me what difference pace can make in how I feel during my runs. I run 4 miles, 4 times a week. At 8:30 pace (average over the run), I'm perfectly comfortable. Even at a 8:15 pace, things change. I cycle and swim the other 3 days, and the faster pace on my runs can even affect my performance on the other days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
                    NEVER stretch cold and NEVER stretch an injury!
                    Yep!
                    1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

idk if i should try and run through it or what... ill try to run through it next time and see how that works...

Comment

Originally posted by DallasGT01 View Post
                        idk if i should try and run through it or what... ill try to run through it next time and see how that works...
                        It will suck ass pretty bad but just go as far as you can stand to go. The next time you run after that, it may not even happen or it won't be as severe.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

You need to sort it out pretty quick. That's a 13 mile run in about 8 weeks, and you're good for about 2 miles? Don't hurt yourself trying to do too much too soon.

Comment

run through it..I change my breathing and it always helps.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                              run through it..I change my breathing and it always helps.
                              x2

Back in my Marine Corps days there would always be some SNCO wanting to punish us and I would get those same pains you mentioned. I would change my breathing and it always helped. Good luck on the 1/2.
                              Originally posted by grove rat
                              shiiiiiit.. i love em thick

Comment

Working...
                              X