4.0 v6 troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 v6 troubles

Hi, need some advice on 2005 4.0 v6, how hard is it to rebuild?

Took car in and they said it was overheated and block and head is ruined, needs a new block and head.

talked to rebuild place and they say they can rebuild for $2300.00, as long as the block is not cracked.

any advice would be welcomed.

Some info, bought used and bought warranty, they will not cover the motor since it has a cold air system (which was on the car when we bought from the dealer)

Get a refund on the warranty and buy an already rebuilt long block.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark04 View Post
      Get a refund on the warranty and buy an already rebuilt long block.

Thats what i was thinking, I have been looking for a rebuilt one in the east texas area, anybody know of any such places?

Comment

To top it off, they want me to pay the dealer for tearing it down, i could have done it, but they would say that it would void the warranty.

Comment

What caused the motor go? My ex drives a 4.0 Auto & I want to avoid this problem with her car

Was the car being driven while it was running Hot?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That does suck. But those 4.0s do run hard. If I was you I get a long block or get my money back like they said & go to a shop to have them rebuild the block or get a already built block & give them your old core
          GOD BLESS TEXAS
          August Landscaping
          214-779-7278
          Seb's high class.
          He'll mow your grass.
          He'll kick your ass.
          And while his kidney stones pass,
          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by blownmach View Post
            hi, need some advice on 2005 4.0 v6, how hard is it to rebuild?

Took car in and they said it was overheated and block and head is ruined, needs a new block and head.

Talked to rebuild place and they say they can rebuild for $2300.00, as long as the block is not cracked.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Some info, bought used and bought warranty, they will not cover the motor since it has a cold air system (which was on the car when we bought from the dealer)
            fwiw i bought a longblock from greenleaf for $1200 in my 01 gt and that was t.b. Down to oil pan. So it can be done "cheap"

Comment

just buy a reman longblock and send in your core for exchange. have a shop R&R it all at the same time. its not even worth your time trying to save money doing it yourself unless you have a lift and a bunch of time on your hands. powertrain products has that engine remanufactured for like 2400. I doubt the block is cracked headgaskets are probably gone and heads may need resurfaced. what exactly happened when it broke? did it just get hot does the shortblock turn over?
              Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 12-02-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

i redid a 4.0 out of a 03 for like 1800 just for the top end, and that was for my brother in law.....

Comment

Check into a low mileage used one yet?

Comment

Originally posted by blownmach View Post
                    Hi, need some advice on 2005 4.0 v6, how hard is it to rebuild?

talked to rebuild place and they say they can rebuild for $2300.00, as long as the block is not cracked.

any advice would be welcomed.

man ive got a couple to choose from some as low as $1000!!!
                    these are motor with less than 100k mi..and the R&R on that would be right at $500+parts (oil, oil filter etc)..

give us a call if your interested,
                    Israel
                    972-437-8331
                    CCARS
                    4818 Vicksburg
                    Dallas, Tx 75207

Comment

deal on the table

Dealer said they can get a rebuilt motor for 2700 and they would pay 1000.

That leaves 1700, refund of warranty 900, balance of 800

They said if i paid the 800 they would get the car going

Any comments

the way i see it its 2000, 1200 warranty(first paid) plus 800

Comment

so you've already payed $1200 to them ?

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                          What caused the motor go? My ex drives a 4.0 Auto & I want to avoid this problem with her car

Was the car being driven while it was running Hot?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That does suck. But those 4.0s do run hard. If I was you I get a long block or get my money back like they said & go to a shop to have them rebuild the block or get a already built block & give them your old core
                          So what caused the motor to go bad. Im asking so I can avoid this problem with my ex's car.
                          GOD BLESS TEXAS
                          August Landscaping
                          214-779-7278
                          Seb's high class.
                          He'll mow your grass.
                          He'll kick your ass.
                          And while his kidney stones pass,
                          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                            So what caused the motor to go bad. Im asking so I can avoid this problem with my ex's car.

The motor must have had a head gasket problem when we bought it, thermostate housing was cracked, fix that and then the radiator started to leak, must have been building up pressure causing every thing to leak.

when we bought the car they gave us a low price and i figured if they really wanted to sell it they throw in the warranty which was 1200, so we will be getting part of that back

Comment

I'd fight that! How can they give you a warranty on a car, you make no changes to it and they won't cover because of something that was on the car? The dealer should have set it back to stock if it were going to void the warranty! You're not making a big enough noise! They would have a pretty hard time linking a cold air kit to an over heating problem. You need to get mean or pull a parent or attorney into it who will! There are plenty of warranty companies who routinely say "No" a few times before they say "yes".

Best of luck, Bro!

-Jonny
                              2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                              '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X