Getting a die unstuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a die unstuck

So my 223 sizing die is stuck, and I have pounded the hell out of it with a hammer all ready to ill effect. What do I do next?
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    So my 223 sizing die is stuck, and I have pounded the hell out of it with a hammer all ready to ill effect. What do I do next?
    Very common. Your decapping pin should screw down to push the case out. What kind of case lube are you using?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      Very common. Your decapping pin should screw down to push the case out. What kind of case lube are you using?
      Been beating on the decapping pin to no effect. That fucker is stuck.

And I have been using hornady one shot case lube.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        Been beating on the decapping pin to no effect. That fucker is stuck.

And I have been using hornady one shot case lube.
        beating on it? Be careful, you can really fuck up your expander/pin doing that. You should be able to screw it down into the die, which should push the case down. It doesn't always release the case. If you do not have a stuck case remover, I would drill and tap the primer hole, drop a socket over the die so it grabs the outside of the die and allows you to thread a bolt with washer into the tapped case and pull it out. Most manufacturers will remove a stuck case for around $5. You can also throw it in the freezer for 3-4 hours, pull it out, spray some clp down it, and try to pound it out that way. Don't heat it though.

Hornady one shot case lube sucks, in my opinion. I suggest imperial sizing wax, you'll never have it happen again.
        Last edited by CJ; 12-02-2010, 09:41 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You can use a stuck case kit from many of the die manufacturers or make your own with a drill bit and extractor. I've also sawed the end off the case and put a groove on the case body and used a pair of pliers to get out. But it tears the dies up. Lee dies are a little easier for me on stuck cases, as you can disassemble the die to get at the case.

Imperial sizing wax works better for me than Hornady One shot or Lee lube. It's cheap, easy to cleanup and a little can lasts forever. Some guys use STP oil treatment.

Comment

Before I got the stuck case remover kit, I bent my decapping pin in the process. I called RCBS, and they sent out a new one, no charge. Now I do all my decapping on a Lee decapping die and leave the decapper out of the RCBS.

Comment

I drill tge primer pocket out then tap it with a 1/4" bolt and use a slide hammer.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Wax based lube is your friend....
                Originally posted by Sean88gt
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I thought you were against reloading?
                  Originally posted by Marisa
                  we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Drill and tap the primer pocket, use 3 nuts to back a threaded rod out. 2 jammed together at the top for a ratchet and one you keep twisting down to the die body. It will pop right out

Comment

Ive never got a case stuck, and only use the hornady one shot.

Spray, roll brass around/spray again.

Then set the brass in the corner for a good 15-30 min. Gotta let it dry.

Comment

Working...
                      X