Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cheapo 300BLK

Cheap, that's how I like it!

MOE grips, Del-ton upper receiver, Plum Crazy lower, SI Defense M4 profile barrel, Spikes Tactical piston and Vortex Strikefire optic.

I like the Strikefire a lot, but the barrel, i'm not so sure. The phosphate finish is total crap. It's splotchy and not well coated. I'm not sending it back because i'll be duracoating it before too long anyways. Phosphate is completely missing at the crown, and on a rectangle around the gas port. It lookes like they turned the barrel, drilled the gas port, phosphated the barrel, then milled the crown. So long as it shoots straight that's all the really matters though.
    Attached Files
    IMG_0424

How much do have in it? I just did a 5.56 dsa upper w/ a plum crazy lower for about $525

Comment

boy that is some shit work. I can give you info on a guy who will parkerize that barrel for $20 locally if you're interested.

What kind/location gas block do you have? Looks like a standard carbine length? Will it cycle 170gr low pressure loads?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by smokey3550 View Post
        How much do have in it? I just did a 5.56 dsa upper w/ a plum crazy lower for about $525
        $175 barrel
        $120 lower
        $200 piston kit
        $160 Strikefire w/killflash
        Then the MOE grips and a Del-ton upper I had.

edit: and a bolt of course!
        Last edited by GAP; 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM.
        IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
          $175 barrel
          $120 lower
          $200 piston kit
          ^^^
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
            boy that is some shit work. I can give you info on a guy who will parkerize that barrel for $20 locally if you're interested.

What kind/location gas block do you have? Looks like a standard carbine length? Will it cycle 170gr low pressure loads?
            For $20 the price is definitely right. But since it'll get duracoated anyway, I'll just leave it. It's carbine length and I doubt it will cycle any subsonics. I'm sure I'll have to ream the gas port quite a bit larger. I have some 147gr super and 220gr subs to shoot for now. Looks like it'll be a few weeks before I can get to the range though.
            IMG_0424

Comment

For $20 the price is definitely right. But since it'll get duracoated anyway, I'll just leave it. It's carbine length and I doubt it will cycle any subsonics. I'm sure I'll have to ream the gas port quite a bit larger. I have some 147gr super and 220gr subs to shoot for now. Looks like it'll be a few weeks before I can get to the range though.
              Where did you get the barrel?

Comment

Where did you get the barrel?
                Midway
                IMG_0424

Comment

Midway
                  I'm assuming it's dimensionally identical to .300 whisper, .300 fireball?

Comment

I'm assuming it's dimensionally identical to .300 whisper, .300 fireball?
                    Unsure.
                    IMG_0424

Comment

I just weighted her and it came in at 7lbs 2oz empty, and a loaded (147gr) 20rd pmag is 15oz. I feel like I would like it a little lighter on the nose.
                      IMG_0424

Comment

I had to look that up to see what the heck it was. Cool little concept.

How do those barrels/chambers accomodate the huge differences in OAL between the 120 grain and 220 grain bullets? Is it just a compromise for accuracy? Or does the taper and rifling design work well for all of them?

Comment

$175 barrel
                          $120 lower
                          $200 piston kit

edit: and a bolt of course!
                          Nice Rifle GAP. Don't know much about 300 Blackout yet but it looks like a cool large caliber AR upper, especially since it uses a standard lower.

Looking at those numbers the upper below looks like a pretty good deal.
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                            I had to look that up to see what the heck it was. Cool little concept.

How do those barrels/chambers accomodate the huge differences in OAL between the 120 grain and 220 grain bullets? Is it just a compromise for accuracy? Or does the taper and rifling design work well for all of them?
                            I think most will see it as a compromise. My barrel has a 1/8 twist that will stabilize the heaviest loads and will certainly over-stabilize light loads. But at ranges up to 200yards, i'm not sure if over-stabilization even matters.
                            IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                              Nice Rifle GAP. Don't know much about 300 Blackout yet but it looks like a cool large caliber AR upper, especially since it uses a standard lower.

Looking at those numbers the upper below looks like a pretty good deal.
                              http://www.westforkarmory.com/cmmg-3...ecialq300.html
                              Or this Olympic
                              IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                              X