Blisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters

A girlfriend of mine is doing the Susan G. Komen three day walk and has been training for several months so far. The issue is she gets really bad blisters. Her feet are really soft and won't callous. The blisters develop anywhere, top of toes, bottom of feet etc. She's been fitted for shoes do they are not the problem. Anyone have advice I could relay? She's going to start using Vaseline on her feet, but we want to see if there are any other ideas if that fails. Everyone else already uses Vaseline which really helps.

dri wick socks to pull moisture away. anti chaff on the feet work and pull out the insole and apply vaseline to it.
    Another route to go is to get some Injinji socks, Ive heard good reports from marathon runners

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
      dri wick socks to pull moisture away. anti chaff on the feet work and pull out the insole and apply vaseline to it.
      Another route to go is to get some Injinji socks, Ive heard good reports from marathon runners
      She's got the right socks too. That's what throws me off is that it's not like she's got a ton of moisture on her feet. I'm still positive the Vaseline will work wonders, but just trying to cover the basics.

Comment

Blisters on top? I'm wondering if she's having a reaction (skin allergy) to something?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Blisters on top? I'm wondering if she's having a reaction (skin allergy) to something?
          She gets them on the top of her big toes. I can't figure that one out. This all done by walking since the 3 Day is a 60 mile walk.

Comment

Dr. Scholls Moleskin on the pressure points before she puts the shoes on?
            Ded

Comment

adam, my old lady does the same walk. by the time she is done she is losing toenails and shit. VERY SEXXXY!

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wear nylons under the normal socks. We used to do that in the army for long road marches. 21 miles in combat boots with 50lbs or more on your back. The nylons really work.

Comment

I've done some wilderness medical training classes and one of the "minor" things that always gets brought up is blisters.

"It's easier to stay hydrated than rehydrate, it's easier to stay warm than to warm a hypothermic person and its easier to prevent blisters than it is to treat them."

re: top of toes... does she curl her toes when she walks?

If you're blistering you have a combination of heat (friction) and moisture. It's like the fire triangle; remove one of the ingredients and you'll be ok.
                  Feet swell throughout the day. It's damn basic, but a shoe that fits in the morning may not be the right shoe for afternoon running. Depending on the person and the activity (like hiking) feet can swell up to a full size over the course of a long day. If the shoe really fits properly then look at the moisture. Moisture wicking socks (polypropelene, wool, or a wool-nylon blend). Never wear cotton socks. Back to friction; some people can get away with a double layer of socks, but the inner layer must be thin and moisture wicking... it allows the two socks to take the friction instead of a sock and skin. No wrinkles if you do this. None.

If you know you have a spot prone to blisters you should tape early. Moleskin is the "standard" but there's also stuff called Blist-O-Ban. SecondSkin and duct tape can be used also.
                  Last edited by Strychnine; 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I'll see if she can try the moleskin etc. She uses moisture wicking socks and doesn't have an issue with there being too much moisture either. Somehow there is friction coupled with her feet not callousing it just creates issues. We'll see if combing a few of these will help.

Comment

Moleskin is what I always use for my ruck marches. Works wonders even in wet boots.

Comment

X2 on the Injinji socks. The micros and super thin, but best ones they make, IMHO. I've also heard the fact about feet swelling once you're blood pressure comes up and you've been on your feet long enough. That's, as I understand it, the reason some runner's toe nails turn black and fall off. Is she wearing 2 pair of socks?? If so, did she try on her shoes with 2 pair of socks on and go a half size bigger, at least?

Be sure and let us know what you figure out.
                        2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                        '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                        X