Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with Elbow (Olecranon) Bursitis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with Elbow (Olecranon) Bursitis?

I have been having bad elbow pains in my right elbow(on the outside) for a few years now and the heavier I went on triceps, the worse the pain was.
    I do not have any issues at all with my left elbow.
    I always would load up on ibuprofen and sometimes aleve before and after workouts to deal with the pain.
    Well of course, that was a bad decision and now I believe my bursae sac has filled full of fluid.
    I will probably need to see a Sports Med Dr or an Orthopedic Dr here very soon.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or first hand experience?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

Definition
    Bursae are thin, slippery sacs located throughout the body that act as cushions between bones and soft tissues. They contain a small amount of lubricating fluid that allows the skin to move freely over the underlying bone.

The olecranon bursa lies between the loose skin and the pointy bone at the back of the elbow called the olecranon.

Normally, the olecranon bursa is flat. If it becomes irritated or inflamed, more fluid will accumulate in the bursa and bursitis will develop.
    In elbow bursitis, the bursa fills with fluid, causing pain and limiting movement.

Cause
    Elbow bursitis can occur for a number of reasons.

Trauma: A hard blow to the tip of the elbow can cause the bursa to produce excess fluid and swell.
    Prolonged pressure: Leaning on the tip of the elbow for long periods of time on hard surfaces, such as a tabletop, may cause the bursa to swell. Typically, this type of bursitis develops over several months.

People in certain occupations are especially vulnerable, particularly plumbers or heating and air conditioning technicians who have to crawl on their knees in tight spaces and lean on their elbows.
    Infection: If an injury at the tip of the elbow breaks the skin, such as an insect bite, scrape, or puncture wound, bacteria may get inside the bursa sac and cause an infection. The infected bursa produces fluid, redness, swelling, and pain. If the infection goes untreated, the fluid may turn to pus.

Occasionally, the bursa sac may become infected without an obvious injury to the skin.
    Medical conditions: Certain conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis and gout, are associated with elbow bursitis.

Symptoms

Swelling is often the first symptom. The skin on the back of the elbow is loose, which means that a small amount of swelling may not be noticed right away.
    In many cases, the first sign of bursitis is swelling at the elbow.

As the swelling continues, the bursa begins to stretch, which causes pain. The pain often worsens with direct pressure on the elbow or with bending the elbow. The swelling may grow large enough to restrict elbow motion.

If the bursitis is infected, the skin becomes red and warm. If the infection is not treated right away, it may spread to other parts of the arm or move into the bloodstream. This can cause serious illness. Occasionally, an infected bursa will open spontaneously and drain pus.
    Top of page
    Doctor Examination and Tests

After discussing your symptoms and medical history, your doctor will examine your arm and elbow.

Your doctor may recommend an x-ray to look for a foreign body or a bone spur. Bone spurs are often found on the tip of the elbow bone in patients who have had repeated instances of elbow bursitis. Your doctor may choose to take a small sample of bursa fluid with a needle to diagnose whether the bursitis is caused by infection or gout. Blood tests are not usually helpful.

Treatment
    Nonsurgical Treatment

If your doctor suspects that bursitis is due to an infection, he or she may recommend aspirating (removing the fluid from) the bursa with a needle. This is commonly performed as an office procedure. Fluid removal helps relieve symptoms and gives your doctor a sample that can be looked at in a laboratory to identify if any bacteria are growing. This also lets your doctor know if a specific antibiotic is needed to fight the infection.

Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics before the exact type of infection is identified. This is done to prevent the infection from progressing. The antibiotic that your doctor prescribes at this point will treat a number of possible infections.

If the bursitis is not from an infection, it is treated with a number of options.

Elbow pads. An elbow pad may be used to cushion your elbow.
    Activity changes. Avoid activities that cause direct pressure to your swollen elbow.
    Medications. Oral medications such as ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories may be used to reduce swelling and relieve your symptoms.

If swelling and pain do not respond to these measures after 3 to 4 weeks, your doctor may recommend removing fluid from the bursa and injecting a corticosteroid medication into the bursa. The steroid medication is an anti-inflammatory drug that is stronger than the medication that can be taken by mouth. Corticosteroid injections usually work well to relieve pain and swelling. However, symptoms can return.
    Your doctor may remove fluid from the swollen bursa to check for infection, or to prepare the bursa for a corticosteroid injection.
    Reproduced with permission from JF Sarwark, ed: Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, ed 4. Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2010.
    Surgical Treatment

Surgery for infected bursa. If the bursa is infected and it does not improve with antibiotics or by removing fluid from the elbow, surgery to remove the entire bursa may be needed. This is often an inpatient procedure, meaning you will need to stay overnight in the hospital. This surgery may be combined with further use of oral or intravenous antibiotics.

Your body will grow a new bursa sac over a period of several weeks.

Surgery for noninfected bursa. If elbow bursitis is not a result of infection, surgery may still be needed if nonsurgical treatments do not work. In this case, surgery to remove the bursa is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. The surgery does not disturb any muscle, ligament, or joint structures.

Recovery. Your doctor will apply a splint to your arm after the procedure to protect your skin. In most cases, casts or prolonged immobilization are not necessary.

Although formal physical therapy after surgery is not usually needed, your doctor will recommend specific exercises to improve your range of motion. These are typically permitted within a few days of the surgery.

Your skin should be well healed within 10 to 14 days after the surgery, and after 3 to 4 weeks, your doctor may allow you to fully use your elbow. Your elbow may need to be padded or protected for several months to prevent reinjury.

Clean point of elbow with alcohol or betadine. Numb skin with lidocaine. Insert 18G needle into fluid pocket and withdraw the fluid. Takes 5mins.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      Clean point of elbow with alcohol or betadine. Numb skin with lidocaine. Insert 18G needle into fluid pocket and withdraw the fluid. Takes 5mins.
      I was hoping you would chime in.
      Would you recommend taking a corticosteroid injection as well?
      The reason that I ask...I have heard that if taken multiple times, it can weaken tendons.
      Thank you Dr. Dav!

Comment

I dont recommend using it regularly for this but it can help...assuming that is isnt infectious bursitis.

Comment

I am headed to an Orthopedic Dr. tomorrow.
          Soooo ready to get this taken care of!

Busted up elbow:

Normal:

Comment

you should get that horrible shirt taken care of...

Good luck, for real, buddy of mine had the same sort of thing, I think he's had to have the fluid removed 4-5 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              you should get that horrible shirt taken care of...
              Maybe he's wearing an Alan from Two and a Half Men costume for Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                You were pretty much right on the money Dr. Dav!

8cc's of Xylocaine and 1cc of Depo Medrol and Dr. said I can get right back to lifting.
                I was surprised at the last statement, but I'm not one to argue whenever he tells me what I wanna hear!

Comment

Well...things did not go quite as expected.
                  I knew the bursitis was going to come back, but not this darn soon.

So my elbow swole back up after taking it somewhat easy the last few weeks in the gym.
                  I went to the Dr. today and got an X-ray taken.
                  Turns out...Dr. wants to do surgery that will consist of removing the bursi sack, shaving off a bone spur on the back of my Olecranon, and also checking some calcium deposits in the rear tricep area of my right arm.
                  He said that he will remove the calcium deposits(causes tendonitis) if they are on the top of the tendon and relatively easy to get at.
                  I am going to be out of the gym for 1-2 months(at least most upper body exercises).
                  I'm pretty bummed out, but hopefully this surgery doesn't limit me too much from working out.

Comment

Damn dude that sucks man... Keep us posted on whats going on. And if you want to transfer some of that size over to me ill take it! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                      Damn dude that sucks man... Keep us posted on whats going on. And if you want to transfer some of that size over to me ill take it! LOL
                      Will do and thank you.
                      Hopefully I can keep a lot of my size, but time will tell.
                      I do plan on hitting my legs as often as my body allows me to.
                      Like I said...I am pretty bummed, but I also know that in the long run, the surgery will hopefully alleviate some of the pain I have been masking for a few years now.

Comment

I'm sorry Justin! I'll keep you in my thoughts.. I know you'll still be a beast when you get back in the gym!

Comment

that sucks man....good luck with that. Are you going to get a second opinion on that surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                            Will do and thank you.
                            Hopefully I can keep a lot of my size, but time will tell.
                            I do plan on hitting my legs as often as my body allows me to.
                            Like I said...I am pretty bummed, but I also know that in the long run, the surgery will hopefully alleviate some of the pain I have been masking for a few years now.
                            I had major elbow surgery about 8 years ago I guess. Mine was from breaking all the bones in it and it would not straighten out properly. They trimmed a little here and there and pulled out some loose parts. I remember the first time I did lat pull downs like four months later it burned like a MF. It took like six months to a year to get all the strength back in that arm. It still wont straighten all the way but that was from all the breaks not the surgery. They put me out and the surgery was painless. I really do not even remember it hurting that bad in the days after.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
                              I'm sorry Justin! I'll keep you in my thoughts.. I know you'll still be a beast when you get back in the gym!
                              Thank you, I appreciate that!

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                              that sucks man....good luck with that. Are you going to get a second opinion on that surgery?
                              Yes.
                              I did and I have no choice.
                              Removing the bursa sack is quite common.
                              Removing the bone spur and messing with the calcium deposits on the tendon is what I feel is going to hurt!

Still waiting on the man(davbrucas) to hopefully give his two cents as well...

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              I had major elbow surgery about 8 years ago I guess. Mine was from breaking all the bones in it and it would not straighten out properly. They trimmed a little here and there and pulled out some loose parts. I remember the first time I did lat pull downs like four months later it burned like a MF. It took like six months to a year to get all the strength back in that arm. It still wont straighten all the way but that was from all the breaks not the surgery. They put me out and the surgery was painless. I really do not even remember it hurting that bad in the days after.
                              Thank you for your input.
                              I don't think I will be down that long(4 months-1yr), but I do know one thing...I ain't giving this working out thing up!

Comment

Working...
                              X