Made a few new pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a few new pens

Earlier this week I got a new lathe to replace the old Jet 1014 that I had tired of. I originally got the Jet so I could downsize but found that it was just too underpowered. So I upgraded to the Delta 46-460 (review forthcoming). So to christen it, I did something I haven't done in a couple of years, I created a couple of new pens. These are made from Polaris pen kits that are sold at WoodWorld TX in Richardson, TX

After making the first one with Birdseye maple, I realized there was a problem in my drill press alignment. A quick inspection verified this and I got things straightened up. The second pen is made from Wenge and it came out much nicer.

These kits are pretty cheap. I think they cost me only $6 each. I think I'll order some more high end kits and give those out as Christmas gifts. Does anyone have a suggestion in that regard?

DSC_0095 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

DSC_0100 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

DSC_0112 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

I see lots of pens under the tree this year for Christmas. Looking good

Comment

Iv always liked the segmented pens the most. Are you looking for wood blanks, pen hardware or both?
      I really dig the ones made out of bone also, but bones is a little harder to turn.

Comment

Both look awesome..

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
          Iv always liked the segmented pens the most. Are you looking for wood blanks, pen hardware or both?
          I really dig the ones made out of bone also, but bones is a little harder to turn.

If you mean Antler, that's fairly easy to turn as long as it isn't dried out too much.

I'm mainly looking for hardware. I've got tons of birdseye maple, purple heart, Wenge, and cherry blanks. I've also got a few blocks of ebony, spalted maple, texas ebony, and wavy walnut that I can use.

I'll probably do some segmented work after Christmas but I really want to do some segmented bowls. I've never tried that before. I've also got a big chunk of ebony that I'm going to turn a square rimmed bowl with. I think I'll be giving that to Mom..

Comment

I want one. How much to make me one out of the birds eye? Or a few actually.
            www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Let me get back to you on that. I'm going to be swamped making pens for Christmas with the little free time I have..

Comment

Id like to see some made of purple heart. Good lookin pen!

*edit: my phone only loaded the first pic for some reason. Those will make great gifts.

Comment

Coincidentally, I started a Purpleheart pen last night. I'll post up a pic when its done.

Comment

Here is the purpleheart pen.

DSC_0002 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

Comment

those are sweet, I might want to buy one from you also. I have some white tail antlers I may be up for donating if you make me a pen out of it.

Comment

Maybe you could sell them for 3 mil a piece!
                        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                        sigpic

Comment

Those are cool, great gift idea.
                          “There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods". Aldous Huxley 1962

Comment

Something a little different. Ebony with a copper finish..

DSC_0005 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

DSC_0006 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

Comment

Have you tried making a fountain pen?

Those are really cool btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X