Spreading mouth of 308 case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreading mouth of 308 case?

I'm trying to find the "off lands" distance in my Savage so I can properly seat these Barnes TTSX bullets I got. Spec is .050 off the lands and I have no idea where mine are. I was trying to loosen the case neck so I could put the bullet in the case and chamber it to see where the bullet is pushed to but I cant manage to get a round in the brass.

You can notch the case mouth on two opposite sides it works pretty well.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Also I tried a technique I found online with a cleaning rod and came up with a OAL of 2.847 but the listed OAL online is 2.810. That seems a bit far off for me to proceed. I put a bullet in the barrel and a case behind it and pushed the bolt up just enough to push the bullet against the lands and then put a cleaning rod in from the other side. I marked the cleaning rod how far it went in and then removed the bullet and brass. I then closed the bolt and put the rod back in all the way in and marked it again. Thats where I got the 2.897 minus the recommended .050 off the lands to get 2.847.

Comment

A fired case should be easy to slide a projectile in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          A fired case should be easy to slide a projectile in.
          Yea but I want it to have SOME tension so when I pull the case out the bullet will stick in the mouth a bit so I can measure where the lands are.

Comment

Chamfering tool and put a little muscle behind it and add some tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              Chamfering tool and put a little muscle behind it and add some tension.
              Good call. ill try that!

Comment

Didnt hold enough tension, the barrel grabbed it. How else can I check the distance of the lands?

Comment

Let me know what you figure out. I'll be doing this on my tikka as soon as my dies get here. Going to break it in sometime next week.

Comment

Do you have a bullet puller?

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                      Do you have a bullet puller?
                      yes I do

Comment

Seat one then pull the bullet, then seat it again and pull it and see how the tension is then.

Comment

Also don't resize in between.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Seat one then pull the bullet, then seat it again and pull it and see how the tension is then.
                            ^ start long and knock it in until it's to where you like it.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              ^ start long and knock it in until it's to where you like it.
                              So to speak.

Oh and cutting a notch in the brass worked out great. The cleaning rod method was actually quite close! Either way works fine

Comment

Working...
                              X