Most recent load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most recent load

Tried out a load for my .308 using Barnes TTSX 150gr bullets. I started at 43.0 of H4895, and went up to 44.5 in 0.5gr increments. It was pretty windy out too. I fired from sandbags and aimed for the bull for every round. So from what the targets are showing is there any advantage of using the hotter load vs the lighter ones?

43.0 (first hole was cold bore)

Not that this will help you but...What gun are you shooting this from? Is there a reason you went with 150gr projectiles?

I ask becasue I am trying to find out what factory .308 ammo is best for my Remington 700 until I can get into reloading. All I have is 150 gr stuff right now (Winchester soft point is beating the Hornady) and I am hoping to try out some heavier bullets here pretty soon to see how they perform.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It was out of a Savage bolt action 111 .308

I went with the 150 for the .308 just due to recommendation and since its a smaller powder charge than some of the other 30 caliber rounds.

Comment

Were you making scope adjustments between these groups?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

No they were all centered on the bull

NOTE The last one is turned sideways so it was shooting high right

Comment

The groups seem to shift all over, if the wind was affecting your shots this much, I'd say it would be difficult to really draw a conclusion as there is quite a bit of variation.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              The groups seem to shift all over, if the wind was affecting your shots this much, I'd say it would be difficult to really draw a conclusion as there is quite a bit of variation.

I will have to find some old reloading data, but I found Sierra Match King 168 GN hollow point boat tail match was the most accurate round available.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                I will have to find some old reloading data, but I found Sierra Match King 168 GN hollow point boat tail match was the most accurate round available.
                I also use 77gr Sierra BTHP Match King's for my .223

Comment

This is a hunting round, not match. The groups do shift but the size of the group isnt that bad is it?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                    This is a hunting round, not match. The groups do shift but the size of the group isnt that bad is it?
                    I would expect a tighter group from a bolt action .308 at 100 yards myself. But then again I'm a really picky person. I wouldn't be satisfied with that rifle until it was consistently grouping under 1/2" directly in the center of that group.

Comment

I loaded this ammo as consistently as possible. Cases were already fired but were trimmed within one-thousandth of an inch of each other, bullets were seated within the same depth, .050 off the lands and used a trickler to measure the powder charge. Hopefully this eliminated just about all of the deviation on the ammo side.

Most of the groups I see out of this rifle are around this size. I don't think its me since I can get groups this size with my Marlin lever with iron sights at 100 yards. Winds were variable with it gusting up to 29 mph that day. Could that cause this big of a group at only 100 yards or is there something on the rifle I should start to look at? Its a completely stock Savage 111 non-accu trigger with a sporter barrel and synthetic stock. Optics is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40

Comment

I loaded this ammo as consistently as possible. Cases were already fired but were trimmed within one-thousandth of an inch of each other, bullets were seated within the same depth, .050 off the lands and used a trickler to measure the powder charge. Hopefully this eliminated just about all of the deviation on the ammo side.

Most of the groups I see out of this rifle are around this size. I don't think its me since I can get groups this size with my Marlin lever with iron sights at 100 yards. Winds were variable with it gusting up to 29 mph that day. Could that cause this big of a group at only 100 yards or is there something on the rifle I should start to look at? Its a completely stock Savage 111 non-accu trigger with a sporter barrel and synthetic stock. Optics is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
                        It's the indian, not the arrow.

Comment

Just for comparison here is a group fired from my surplus M16 at 100 yards with iron sights shooting M193 surplus ammo.

Which is roughly the same grouping you have.

You're using a scope with a bolt action, I can't imagine this is the limitation of the rifle. Even at 30mph wind I'm surprised you have groups moving what looks like 3-4 inches between the targets. I know you're not in the DFW area anymore, but I wish I could have an opportunity to go shooting with you. I would try planting the rifle firm into a sandbag, and use another object (I use a magazine sometimes) on the rear of the stock to bring it up to the proper height for your target. Having heavy downward pressure on the stock should keep your target framed very steady, squeeze while your aim for the dead center. Try not to focus on recoil, only the shot. I have a feeling your groups will really tighten up. A good quality bipod is worth the money 10x over.
                          Last edited by CJ; 11-02-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

What type of rifle and how long in between shots?
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Also in the first pic you stated the cold bore was the single, IMO the cold bore shot placement is the most important in a hunting rifle.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                              X