Need some metal work..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some metal work..

I have this truck bed trailer that I could use some help with. I need to cut off about 2" from the front, cap that and weld on a hitch receiver tube.

You can see in the attached pics what I have. The pic immediately below is what I want coming out of the newly capped face. About 12 to 24" out.

What is a fair price to pay for something like this?

Brooks, you interested?

Attached Files

Just cut that receiver off and bolt on a new coupler. I would not set it up like the bottom pic too weak. It is only holding on by a small piece of weld.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailer...-3-in--0190017

two bolts and you are done
      07 GT500
      05 SRT10
      88 turbocoupe T-bird
      93 Cobra
      86 coupe
      Ducati 848

Comment

If you cut it off like in the pic I would get a peice of square tube smaller to fit inside so your not just depending on that weld for support to hold it together and then also do plug welds.

I would do it for you this weekend but Im tied up doing family stuff

Comment

mk5.0, i've got a cousin that works at austin speed.

Comment

No problem man, I can do it. I'm not too far from you guys either.

Leah has my number, give me a call tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
              No problem man, I can do it. I'm not too far from you guys either.

Leah has my number, give me a call tonight.
              Cool, will do.

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding what I am wanting. The 2 pics at the bottom are my trailer, as it sits now. I want to cut the current coupler off, and cut off the existing front face in order to "clean" it up and make it flush. Then I want to add what I assume will need to be 2" tubing with a hitch receiver (female side) on the front.

The goals are:

1. Get rid of the current coupler - It doesn't look too safe and because it sits on top of the frame it causes too much of the frame to hang below the mounting point.
              2. Extend the trailer tongue length a bit - It is a little too short for my taste.
              3. Have a hitch receiver tube on the trailer tongue - This will be used off road and I want to mount a Lunette (see pic below) for that purpose. But I still want to be able to easliy swap it to a standard coupler so I can use a standard ball hitch if needed.

Comment

Craig, I'm wondering what connects the hitch to the female receiver?
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                  mk5.0, i've got a cousin that works at austin speed.
                  Kickass , whats his name ?
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

Here, this will give you a better idea. I pretty much want this:

And then another coupler bolted to a length of square tube that will also fit the receiver tube.

It's also a decent theft deterrent. Just pull the coupler.
                    Last edited by Chili; 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I like those miltary style hitches, thats all we use at txdot.

Comment

the class of hitch that you need is designated by the maximum GVWR of the trailer. the one mk5.0 has linked to is just fine for most applications.

personally i stay away from pintle hooks because you have to have a pintle hook receiver, you could end up spending over $100 for the hitch

just remember to set up your acute isosceles triangle with the axle, if the angle is off it could end up costing you alot more in tire wear

Comment

Originally posted by assetuncon View Post
                          the class of hitch that you need is designated by the maximum GVWR of the trailer. the one mk5.0 has linked to is just fine for most applications.

personally i stay away from pintle hooks because you have to have a pintle hook receiver, you could end up spending over $100 for the hitch

just remember to set up your acute isosceles triangle with the axle, if the angle is off it could end up costing you alot more in tire wear
                          It's a pickup bed trailer from a mid 70's Ford Courier, which is already pretty light, but will be even lighter once I replace the axle and cut off some other unneeded metal, so weight is not an issue (both for class of hitch equipment and tire wear). As far as the pintle, I only intend to use that offroad, which is why I want the receiver tube on both sides. Towing on pavement will be with a standard ball / receiver, and will switch them out when I hit the dirt.

I have sources and prices for all of the parts I need, I just need to remedy the issue detailed above.

Comment

BTW, Brooks, I haven't called you yet because I am still a couple of months off from doing this. I am just in the planning stage and still need to actually buy the parts and such. Just trying to reconcile budget and such now.

I have a number of things I am planning to do on this trailer, in stages, with a target completion date of next July. I have a list of things to accomplish with this trailer and the Bronco by then for our Colorado trip.

Also, I did some measuring yesterday, and I am going to want to extend the tongue out about 24" or so from its current length.
                            Last edited by Chili; 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the extra expense of the pintle hitch?
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X