Need a sub for HT setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a sub for HT setup

I need to upgrade with a nice sub for for our living room space. I haven't looked at subs in a few years, so I'm hoping you guys can save me a few hours of research. Here's what I'm working with.

20' x 18' with 12' ceiling. It's open on the back side to the kitchen.

60" LCD on wall with blu-ray and AT&T U-verse.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A800 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...a800_black__u/

All speakers (besides sub) are JBL Northridge series.

Front: JBL E50 http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pa...s.aspx?PID=E50

Center: JBL EC35

Rear: JBL E20

I was looking at Jamo subs as I know someone that can get me a pretty good deal. Any advice on size/wattage is appreciated. Likewise if anyone has the deal. I'd rather give my money to a board member if possible. TIA.

Svs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Real subs - Dr. HSU, Outlaw, SVS, Epik, and Sunfire.

Good budget subs - Infinity PS212 or BIC F12 or Velodyne Impact for smaller rooms.

I have a Outlaw LFM-1 Plus with SMS-1 in a large room with little acoustic treatments.

Size and port vs. sealed enclosure will depend on expectation(musicality, cinema or both) room size and potential placement.
      Last edited by LS1Goat; 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        I need to upgrade with a nice sub for for our living room space. I haven't looked at subs in a few years, so I'm hoping you guys can save me a few hours of research. Here's what I'm working with.

20' x 18' with 12' ceiling. It's open on the back side to the kitchen.

60" LCD on wall with blu-ray and AT&T U-verse.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A800 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...a800_black__u/

All speakers (besides sub) are JBL Northridge series.

Front: JBL E50 http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pa...s.aspx?PID=E50

Center: JBL EC35

Rear: JBL E20

I was looking at Jamo subs as I know someone that can get me a pretty good deal. Any advice on size/wattage is appreciated. Likewise if anyone has the deal. I'd rather give my money to a board member if possible. TIA.
        There's a Jamo for sale here on the board in the classifieds. Seems to be nice, and fairly priced.

Comment

I have an HSU and cant be happier. Sounds very clean not obnoxious yet powerful enough to make the mailbox by the curb rattle

Comment

Not baller at all, but I have a Polk PSW-505 and I love it. Not bad at all for a budget sub (in comparison to the HSU, etc).
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I have the outlaw LFM-1 EX and it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Not baller at all, but I have a Polk PSW-505 and I love it. Not bad at all for a budget sub (in comparison to the HSU, etc).
                Yep. I've been very impressed. Great value.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                  Real subs - Dr. HSU, Outlaw, SVS, Epik, and Sunfire.

Good budget subs - Infinity PS212 or BIC F12 or Velodyne Impact for smaller rooms.

I have a Outlaw LFM-1 Plus with SMS-1 in a large room with little acoustic treatments.

Size and port vs. sealed enclosure will depend on expectation(musicality, cinema or both) room size and potential placement.
                  Pretty accurate post.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I've been out of loop on HT stuff since I bought all my JBL speakers several years back. This was a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      Thanks for the input guys. I've been out of loop on HT stuff since I bought all my JBL speakers several years back. This was a big help.
                      NP. Good luck with your purchase.
                      Last edited by LS1Goat; 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                        I have the outlaw LFM-1 EX and it works well.
                        Hey, I have a question for a fellow Outlaw sub owner; How often do you run yours plugged/extension mode vs unplugged/maximum output mode for Blu-ray/DVD movies? Just curious.

I will run mine in extension mode for Blu-rays that I know will have infrasonic bass based on who mixed it, e.g., Anna Behlmer, Randy Thom, etc.. Particularly in regards to flicks like WOTW, Cloverfield, The Incredible's, ST: Episode I Pod Race, How To Train Your Dragon, Resident Evil franchise, etc.. However, I'm learning through my waterfalls that some studios are now encoding with a 20 ~ 25Hz high pass filter. And I understand the practical reasoning by reading the recent interviews from the studio re-recording mixers, but it kind of is a let down for those of us that spent the extra coin to reproduce ULF.

Overall, do you notice any discernible differences between the two modes on your EX? And what are your cross over points?
                        Last edited by LS1Goat; 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X