Fried Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Turkey

First time trying it this year, i need step by step instructions..........Bcoop
    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
    Your opinion is what sucks.
    You are too stupied and arrogant

Not bcoop but he is the guru. I do 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes just in case.

I like to inject Italian dressing or Cajun butter. It is simple really.

MAKE SURE!!!! The bird is not frozen!!!!

Comment

It is super easy.
      One important step is to make sure you remove the bag of stuff inside the bird, make sure its thawed, and put the turkey in the pot then fill it with water. When the water is fully submerged then stop adding water. Now remove the turkey and mark the level of the water. This is how much peanut oil you will put in the pot. Dump out the water and dry the pot.
      A lot of accidents happen because people fill the pot with oil not thinking about the turkey going in it will then cause the oil to spill over and cause a mess/fire

Make sure the turkey is completely thawed out. If not the frozen liquid in the turkey will thaw in the oil and hot oil and water don't mix well

Inject the turkey with one of the store bought marinades roster with. If you do this several times and want to mix your own later then toucan but the store bought ones are fine in my opinion

Your fry kit should come with a bar to put the bird on. Mine looks like a star branding iron. The star is the bottom. Lode the bird on this

Get the oil hot (350*) Then SLOWLY lower the bird in the oil. It is going to start raising hell like anything fried does but you want to make sure you put it down slowly. Take about 30-45 seconds to lower it all the way. When you first out the bird in the temp will drop. I usually bump up the fire a bit to get it back to cooking temp an lower the fire to maintain

Then grab a few beers and watch the bird cook for about 3 mins a lbs I believe
      Last edited by 2165 Turbo Rail; 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM.
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Here is a quick how-to video

Comment

worst camera man EVER

Comment

Just make sure the bird is DRY, inject and put the rub on the outside of the bird and inside the skin. don't stand directly over the oil while dropping it in. And what I mean by dropping it in, I mean by letting it down nice and slow. Also, look at your pot and see if it tells you the maximum size turkey to use. They have that sometimes.

Comment

Chris is pretty spot on for home frying. You MUST make sure the bird is thawed. Or you're going to have a big problem. Remove the gizzards as neck. Trim up around the breast/back and tail. Wash the bird, and pat down with a paper towel to dry. Season liberally with Tony's or a cajun seasoning. Make sure and get it in all the nooks and crannies. Season the cavity as well. Injectables are full of sugar, and sugars burn in the fryer. This wil give you the appearance of a burned bird, but it will taste fine. Also, inject along the bones, this gives the most flavor throughout as poultry pulls moisture/flavor from the bones when it cooks. I cook about 300 over the course of two days every year, and I've tried a variety of methods, seasonings, injectables, etc. What's posted above yields the best results. I don't do Injectables during Turkey Fry when I do all those birds, because it kills the oil, and cooking that many I don't have the the money, patience, or time to change the oil after every turkey. And some people don't like the darker appearance from the Carmelized/burned sugar.

3:30 per lb is what I do, in commercial fryers. Sometimes I have to go longer if not thawed properly.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

And don't forget to take out the thermometer!

Comment

Also, if you breast only, you need to go about 5 mins per lb. because there s no cavity, it takes longer to cook

Comment

you sell those birds Brent? I may have you make me one (i'm going to do at least one this year but would like to see how yours turns out / tastes )

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                      you sell those birds Brent? I may have you make me one (i'm going to do at least one this year but would like to see how yours turns out / tastes )
                      No sir, it's a yearly event we do for our customers. They bring them, and we fry them while they hang out and get plastered.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        No sir, it's a yearly event we do for our customers. They bring them, and we fry them while they hang out and get plastered.
                        Can I give you one?
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                          Can I give you one?
                          *If* I come up here Thanksgiving morning to do mine, you're welcome to join me. Whether or not I'll be doing that has yet to be determined.

Comment

*If* I come up here Thanksgiving morning to do mine, you're welcome to join me. Whether or not I'll be doing that has yet to be determined.
                            If three's not a crowd, I'd like to join you, too. I've been wanting to kick Geof in the balls for a long time, so I could kill two birds with one stone...so to speak.

Comment

Nice! I could totally see me getting home half drunk with a one legged turkey.

Comment

Working...
                              X