Power steering issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering issues

So I've got my project coupe about finished, and I'm having some issues with the power steering. Besides the whine, I'm getting some surging mainly through the cooler tube on the core support and the wheels are jerking when I turn back and forth. I was thinking it was air in the system, but I have tried bleeding it several times, engine off and wheels up turning back and forth. I get continuous bubbles when I do this. There are no visible leaks and the rack seems fine, no noise from it and it's nice and smooth in the air. As soon as the tires on on the ground and I try turning stop to stop, it shudders and jerks like crazy. Its never freezing up or hard to turn at all. It's not as bad if I do it slowly. But I move the wheel quickly, the wheels jerk and the high pressure line and cooler start chattering.

Before I throw money at it....
    Would this be a bad pump? Wouldn't mind changing it, it's loud anyway.
    Or is this maybe a bad line? Or a line letting air in?

Any info is appreciated.
    Last edited by Baba Ganoush; 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM.

Sounds like the pump to me.

Comment

Take it off.

No p/s is easy

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Yeah im keeping the ps, this poor car has been hacked up enough. I spent 4 days repairing the wiring harness back to OEM. I don't understand why people hack up perfectly good shit.

Aw hell, guess I'll throw a pump on it and see, only fourty bucks.

Oh and thanks JimD, with the diagrams you sent me I found my short and got my reverse lights working, and the factory speakers still work! Many thanks sir!

Comment

the pump calls for ATF, not power steering fluid... FYI

Comment

Also some powersteering pumps will release fluid at high speeds instead of slow 30mph driving. If you are loosing fluid it could be when you open the car up to 50-60mph and it purges itself causing you to loose fluid. Hence a bad pump. Let us know!
            SCREW CANADA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
              the pump calls for ATF, not power steering fluid... FYI
              Yeah I'm putting type F back in it, new pump and lines next weekend. Hope this solves it.

I test drove the car and the steering sucks. No leaks of any kind though, totally bone dry underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                Yeah im keeping the ps, this poor car has been hacked up enough. I spent 4 days repairing the wiring harness back to OEM. I don't understand why people hack up perfectly good shit.

Aw hell, guess I'll throw a pump on it and see, only fourty bucks.

Oh and thanks JimD, with the diagrams you sent me I found my short and got my reverse lights working, and the factory speakers still work! Many thanks sir!
                No problem, glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                X