Grill/Smoker Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill/Smoker Opinion

I know it has been gone over several times, but I was wanting to see what the local grill experts opinions on a specific grill were. I've been eyeballing this one at Sam's since I don't foresee myself getting around to building one anytime soon. I've never used a smoker and only charcoal when camping, but I want to learn. I do however use my cheap little gas grill all the time.

Gander Mountain list the same grill as "on sale" for $100 more than sams regular price lol
    FREE SHIPPING for Plus Members. Sam’s Club Helps You Save Time. Low Prices on Groceries, Mattresses, Tires, Pharmacy, Optical, Bakery, Floral, & More!

I'm figuring I can modify the smoke stack to come down to the grate and put a seal around the edge of the lid to improve the smoking abilities.

Here is one similar to the one you posted, but for $250 at Academy.

Not sure of "quality" on either one but for the price it wouldnt be bad to get started on. I was thinking of picking one up myself.

Comment

Looks funtional to me.

Why would you need to modify the stack and seal it? It looks like the firebox on the right. You open the stack and it pulls heat and smoke through. If you want more smoke and less heat you adjust with the dampner and use soaked wood. It'll smoke fine like it is.

Comment

I bought the same one back in September from Sam's and it leaks smoke like none other. I'm not sure if it's the wood we used, but we have never gotten a real smokey flavor to the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
          Here is one similar to the one you posted, but for $250 at Academy.

Not sure of "quality" on either one but for the price it wouldnt be bad to get started on. I was thinking of picking one up myself.
          I have that grill !!

Pros: you can smoke , charcoal or gas grill on it.

Cons: it's hard to keep temps down when your smoking something due to the half size, I think. and If it is left out in the elements and not covered it will rust out (duh) The gas side of this grill rusted out last year and it now completely gone.

I will probably just buy a larger smoker/charcoal grill this time since I rarely cook on gas anymore. The main reason I bought that grill originally was because you can cook three different ways, but that novelty soon wore off for me.
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
            I bought the same one back in September from Sam's and it leaks smoke like none other.
            That would be my main concern. These "all in one" deals don't really work as well as advertised. There is too much going on with that grill. It might be grate as a gas/charcoal combo, but I wouldn't trust it to smoke. There are too many openings, too many chances for leaking, and sealing is much more difficult than one might think. I'd consider it as a charcoal/gas grill. But I wouldn't even attempt to smoke in it. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Leaks REALLY affect the way a smoker smokes, and is supposed to work. I use a cheap piece of shit CharGrill smoker (probably $150-180 @ Academy), but it's not by choice really. I just haven't laid out the cash for a trailer yet. And that pile of shit leaks like you wouldn't believe. I burn through more wood, thin blue smoke is hard to acheieve due to excessive outside air, etc. I can dick with the dampers all day and still not achieve the perfect smoke.

I'd pass, personally. Find you something on Craigslist. Worst case scenario, blast it with sand and repaint with hi temp paint.

Downshift_me - Leaking could be a cause of the lack of smoke flavor. But, so can wood selection. What wood did you use?
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Two main things I'm concerned with on that one.

Thin gauge steel - does not hold heat well and can be difficult to maintain any constant temperatures.

Shoddy seams - in combination with the above, any cold winds will not only reduce the external temperature of the smoker, but allow that cold air to blow through the firebox and/or cooking area.

IMO, smoking a decent meal can be difficult enough sometimes depending on weather, amount and so forth. Don't need to make it nearly impossible with an inexpensive, small "smoker".

As mentioned, there are slick/nice smokers on CL all the time that are great deals. People put a lot of work into making those custom ones and they are ALL serviceable generally.

Even if it looks like a rusty piece of shit. If it's thick gauge steel, just take a wire brush on a drill...clean all the rust - paint with high temp paint and it's brand new. Those are usually the BEST deals though - because the owners KNOW they can't demand as much with the rust on it.

Also, buying a used one is not gross in my opinion and it's seasoned for ya already.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Go get a full size Weber kettle and you'll at least have an awesome charcoal grill. The ash can on the Gold series is worth the extra expense IMHO. Some people like using the Smokenator with it for light smoking duty, but I wouldn't expect to do a full on smoke with it for the same reasons already mentioned. Weber Bullets (aka Smokey Mtn Cookers) are great smokers that won't break the bank and will outperform the 2in1 you posted or the Smokenator.

Comment

Brent- It was hickory wood.

Comment

After looking it over yall are probably right about not being able to seal it up good enough. I think I'll probably stick with the original plan and buy a nicer gas grill and build and ugly drum smoker for now until I get the motivation to try and weld a smoker. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a steal on craigslist.

Comment

Spend the money and get a real smoker. When I say real I mean something that is made out of 1/4 inch pipe, has welds on it, and isn't some mass produced piece of shit. Be ready to spend at least 1k on it.

Comment

Like Brent i have a cheap ass CharGrill smoker that i picked up at wal mart for $170 and it makes ribs to die for. It may rust out some day but i'll have my moneys worth out of it by then.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                          Like Brent i have a cheap ass CharGrill smoker that i picked up at wal mart for $170 and it makes ribs to die for. It may rust out some day but i'll have my moneys worth out of it by then.
                          I think nearly anything is fine for smoking/cooking ribs. They are not on that long.

However, when smoking large briskets, turkeys and hams (so on) when it is below 40 out (some years it's been COOLD around here at 1-2 in the morning) and the wind is howling - you'll wish you had a better one.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            I think nearly anything is fine for smoking/cooking ribs. They are not on that long.

However, when smoking large briskets, turkeys and hams (so on) when it is below 40 out (some years it's been COOLD around here at 1-2 in the morning) and the wind is howling - you'll wish you had a better one.
                            Very true. But with enough practice, you can make almost anything work. There are ways to manipulate it to make it do what you want. Its just a trial and error process. If you've got the money, spend a bit more to get something better constructed. You wont regret it. While I've made do, the Char Grill is thin, leaks terribly, too small (for me, just fine for most)etc.

I bought this one, because i was new to smoking, and to be honest, I didn't know how much I'd like the whole smoking thing. So I didn't want to spend much. Because I've been using it so much though, I can turn out the best pork butt you've ever had in sub 40 temps. All that said, the Char Grill isn't the best option, but it damn well would perform better than the above.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

If wanting solely a smoker, go with Lifetime Smokers. I prefer/own the BGE and will never cook on anything else again.

Comment

Working...
                              X