Reloading 30-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading 30-30

I have never reloaded anything except straightwalls. Lots of straightwall calibers, but never a bottleneck anything.

So I'm going to set up for 30-30, and I realize I won't have carbides, so what extra equipment do I need and what recommendations?

Lube pad and lube? Anything else?

Dies - should I get a separate neck-size setup and a full size setup, or what? I will mostly be shooting factory and reloading that brass, all from the same rifle. In fact for now that is probably all I will be doing. I've always preferred Lees.

Case length cutter, obviously, but any special reccomendations for this caliber?

Anything else? I'd like to order everything at once to save shipping.

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
    I have never reloaded anything except straightwalls. Lots of straightwall calibers, but never a bottleneck anything.

So I'm going to set up for 30-30, and I realize I won't have carbides, so what extra equipment do I need and what recommendations?

Lube pad and lube? Anything else?

Dies - should I get a separate neck-size setup and a full size setup, or what? I will mostly be shooting factory and reloading that brass, all from the same rifle. In fact for now that is probably all I will be doing. I've always preferred Lees.

Case length cutter, obviously, but any special reccomendations for this caliber?

Anything else? I'd like to order everything at once to save shipping.
    I would do full length resizing, you will need some lube - I suggest imperial sizing wax. You don't need carbide, regular steel is fine - even carbide rifle dies use lube. Dies don't really matter as far as the brand. .30-30 is a pretty easy caliber to load, it doesn't have a very drastic neck or pressure so it's slow to grow compared to .308 for instance. I wouldn't be surprised if all of your once fired doesn't require trimming. You will need a LE Wilson case gauge to verify head space and trim. That's about it.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Okay, so a full die set alone, case gage, some lube and some way to trim (if needed).

I looked up that imperial, how do you put it on? Just a little on your hands and roll the shells around or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
        Okay, so a full die set alone, case gage, some lube and some way to trim (if needed).

I looked up that imperial, how do you put it on? Just a little on your hands and roll the shells around or what?
        Yep, just put your fingers in it and handle the cases, works great.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks CJ, ordering today. Plus any various and sundries I can think of. A few boxes of the zombie max are a must, just for the collection

Comment

What bullet are you gonna load? I ask cause the Hornady Leverevolution has a different trim length than the other 30-30 bullets.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I don't know yet. I need to test some various loads and see what I get. This is only a 16" barrel so my thought is I want to go heavy, and the hornady looks like it is only available in 160gr.

Why would it have a different trim length? Is it because of the ogive dimensions and where they placed the cannelure?

Comment

From what I gathered it's mainly from the bullet length and Ogive placement, but I just glanced through it in my Hornady manual. I'll look later when I get home and see if it says anything different.

Comment

cool, I have some loaded LRs i want to try.

What i have currently is a selection from a local loader, at this point I'm not expecting to learn too much about tweaked performance as I am about overall function etc. Plus I want to get comfy shooting it.

Later on I'll see if I can do the chuck conners double spin cock-n-drop stuff

Comment

Ok it appears the trim length does not matter with the ftx bullet in 30-30 however it is in 45-70,444,450,44 mag and 357 mag.

BTW it does state that the different length is due to Ogive.

Comment

That makes sense on the straightwall stuff. Using heavy-for-caliber in 357 was always a labor of love from what i gathered just because of this.

I noticed cheapo rounds in 150 & 170gr at academy today $11/20. I didn't realize 30-30 had crept up so much, but still it isn't like some of the unobtanium stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X