Thumbs up to familygunfun for UTAH Non-Resident CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbs up to familygunfun for UTAH Non-Resident CHL

Before I forget. I figured I'd add something that may be of interest to someone else down the road.

Brad at familygunfun.com is an excellent instructor and is a extremely knowledgeable on both Texas and Utah Concealed Carry. His class is very educational his teaching style makes it fun. He keeps your attention and provides you A LOT of invaluable information inside and outside the course curriculum. It's cheaper than Texas CHL. You only have to pay a $10 renewal fee prior to the end of the 5 years and you don't have to retake any classes. With the UTAH Non-Resident CHL, you can carry in 34 reciprocal states. And there is a couple of small differences between Texas CHL and Utah Non-Resident CHL when you reside in the state of Texas. He discusses with you how to handle 911 calls made after shooting to stop, control, and neutralize as a last resort in self-defense when if fear of your life. And what and what not to do if you are Mirandized. Of course, what to do when being pulled over by PD. And throws in a lot of cool scenarios at you that catch you off guard to make you fully understand the liability and dangers of third party intervention. Situational awareness techniques that I never even thought about before. How to diffuse tense situations with adult to adult non-demeaning communication skills. Very insightful and eye opening. The class is engaging and Brad carefully goes over each and every component of the curriculum in detail. Answers any and all questions. He also teaches firearm training and tactical

What portion of the curriculum I found interesting was the 70 acre 170 day Amusement park restricted carry. However, you can carry at a Carnival and at the Texas State Fair because it falls outside of these statues. Interesting stuff. And how you can't bring a knife into the Fair Grounds, but you can buy one on premise and leave with it....lol Some of these laws are asinine. And there is a 51% type of sign in certain places around the state that has a Texas Star and nomenclature on it, but it doesn't actually say 51% And it is in your best interest to not carry in these places despite the fact that it isn't labeled the way that is discussed in the Texas CHL curriculum.

Very good discussion about no duty to retreat, but it should be something you should do if possible and about not leaving a tactically secure position and learning how to dial 911 instead of being a hero.

If you think you know anything about gun laws and penal code, you don't know squat if you haven't been to a really good CHL class with a seasoned instructor with a background in law enforcement. There was more to learn that I was even prepared for. Took pages of notes and left feeling pretty humbled that I thought I was fairly educated on the subject going in and how to handle myself in various situations. NOT.

Brad Brasuell is the man. He has an awesome video on his site about why you do not speak to the cops after being Mirandized. There are two speakers in the video. One being a Law Professor, and the second is an actual police officer. They illustrate how easy it is to for a Detective to make you inadvertently incriminate yourself, even if you are innocent of a crime. Basically, how to facilitate your situation by keeping your mouth shut, regardless of the pressure until you first consult an attorney. Excellent video.

Check out this card.

Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-06-2010, 01:57 AM.

"Officer I suffer from hypertension and I am having chest pains and shortness of breath, I request immediate medical attention and my lawyer, please. I will make a statement as soon as I get medical attention and have spoken to my lawyer." Sit down hold your chest and shut your mouff.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

ON topic I think that I just might take my CHL while I am home this R&R.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Pretty cool, basically $165 and no shooting test and you can carry...

Comment

I'm really not liking this way around the Texas CHL.

No range time? The thought of having people out there with a license that did not have to demonstrate ANY kind of proficiency scares me.

This sounds like a way to skirt the Texas CHL, and I would think that the Texas Legislature is working on a way to close that loophole. When it does, everyone who has spent money on this out of state CHL is going to have a worthless document.

I have yet to see any case law on this, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the test case. You might win, but you'd be tens of thousands of dollars in the hole.

For the record, I support concealed carry, I think everyone that is eligible should be able to carry. An armed society is a polite society, and I wished more bad guys would meet the business end of a gun for their crimes. I just don't think this is the way to defeat the system that has been put in place.

Comment

So people with absolutely no experience handling a firearm can now carry. ND waiting to happen. Enough idiots make it thru the CHL that have no business handling a firearm.

Happy you found a good instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post

No range time? The thought of having people out there with a license that did not have to demonstrate ANY kind of proficiency scares me.

This sounds like a way to skirt the Texas CHL, and I would think that the Texas Legislature is working on a way to close that loophole. When it does, everyone who has spent money on this out of state CHL is going to have a worthless document.

I have yet to see any case law on this, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the test case. You might win, but you'd be tens of thousands of dollars in the hole.

For the record, I support concealed carry, I think everyone that is eligible should be able to carry. An armed society is a polite society, and I wished more bad guys would meet the business end of a gun for their crimes. I just don't think this is the way to defeat the system that has been put in place.
              The concealed carry shooting portion is a joke. My class has a couple women in their 50's who have never even held a gun and passed without a problem. Hell, they didnt even ahve a gun yet...they rented.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                The concealed carry shooting portion is a joke. My class has a couple women in their 50's who have never even held a gun and passed without a problem. Hell, they didnt even ahve a gun yet...they rented.
                At least now they have shot something.

Something is better than nothing, in my book.

Comment

So meaning you don't have to take the Texas CHL test but you can still carry in Texas?
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    So meaning you don't have to take the Texas CHL test but you can still carry in Texas?
                    Correct.

I have a Texas and a Utah chl.
                    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I also took Brad's class early in the year. I did it for the time factor. We actually went over the TX CHL test when we were finished. There wasn't anything on it we hadn't covered. I can and have shot my whole life, so not shooting wasn't a big deal. I did learn several things from his class that I wouldn't have thought about. For the record NRA members have access to council. I've given my Utah non res license to several leo's during traffic stops and have had no probs.

Comment

I would say you need to stop getting stopped by leo's

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post

Rick Perry signed the reciprocity agreement into law. And he just got re-elected. As for people not having proficiency, I've been shooting/hunting handling firearms since I was 12. Same goes for the others in my class based on our discussion.
                          Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                            Pretty cool, basically $165 and no shooting test and you can carry...
                            Yep, $100 for class. And $65.25 to process paperwork. i.e. FBI background check, Finger printing, DL copy, Passport photo, and course completion signed by instructor. And you get your license pretty quick. 2 months or less.
                            Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Yep, can legally carry in 34 states, Texas included under reciprocity. AND the renewal fee after 5 years is only $10 without having to take any more classes.
                              Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X