Diesel reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel reccomendations

Im in the market for a diesel, it won't be new because I'm not paying the kind of money they want for one, the only thing I know so far are the 6.0 fords have injection and head gasket problems, and that 7.3's are underpowered but will last forever. I'm not brand loyal and this truck will be doing a good bit of towin/hauling so power is important, but mileage is right up there with it. With the newer trucks and the power they make, are shorter rear gears a help at all?

2003 - 2007.5 Cummins 5.9 in a six speed would get both mileage and last forever. Just put a cold air, exhaust, and a programmer on it and you'll be very happy in my opinion.

Comment

buy a dodge 2500 or 3500, mine ; 2005, 3500(single wheel), 4x4, auto. laramie, has 260k (had to rebuild trans at 240k) no problems otherwise, haul with it regularly, hauled a 26' toybox just about every weekend for 4 years and equipment during the week, fuel mileage empy on hwy gets 21-23, mix driving 18-19, hauling the toybox got around 16 hwy driving 65-70 at 80-90 only 10-11.
      i also have a 6.0 for 4dr. 4x4 lariat with 130k miles that is currently torn down due to the reasons you listed, gas mileage on it is 14-16 empty, hauling a horse trrailer it got around 10.
      my older dodges are still going as well 95 and 96 with over 400k miles and just a auto trans rebuild.

Comment

oh and i have never put a programmer or anything on any of them they are all stock

Comment

Personally if your looking for a workhorse you cant go wrong with the Cummins platform. They will usually last you as long as you own the truck with minimal problems. Its only when you start modding things do they become troublesome and thats with any vehicle.

And if you get a CR 5.9 you will be able to tune it for a little more power with ease. There are plenty of tuners on the market to choose from

Comment

Originally posted by HaMMuH View Post
            2003 - 2007.5 Cummins 5.9 in a six speed would get both mileage and last forever. Just put a cold air, exhaust, and a programmer on it and you'll be very happy in my opinion.
            i have an 03 cummins 3500 with the 6spd it has i have a smarty with a cold air intake on her and she gets 17.5 mpg

i picked the truck up for 10k , and she is very strong with 212k on the odo

Comment

not enough info for recommendation,
              lets start with...
              what are you planning on towing?
              what is your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                Personally if your looking for a workhorse you cant go wrong with the Cummins platform. They will usually last you as long as you own the truck with minimal problems. Its only when you start modding things do they become troublesome and thats with any vehicle.

And if you get a CR 5.9 you will be able to tune it for a little more power with ease. There are plenty of tuners on the market to choose from
                CR? I'm going to assume you mean Common Rail, but I've googled it and can't find exactly what it means.

Are you still working for that programmer company? I've read that 04.5-07 models make more power but get less mileage, but you can get a programmer taken care of to get rid of the third injector pulse. Any truth to that, and will it hurt anything?]]
                Originally posted by gat0r View Post
                not enough info for recommendation,
                lets start with...
                what are you planning on towing?
                what is your budget?
                I'm towing my race car in my avatar and all the equipment that goes with it, soooo. ~10k? and I'd like to keep it around 20k sticker price so I can jew them down a bit.

Comment

Yes CR Means Common Rail.

I am working for H&S now and we dont currently tune the 5.9s but are working on getting some stuff out for them.

I know that my friends 05 one ton with a tuner running a 180hp tune gets 25mpg unloaded and with about 25k behind it on the 5th wheel he can manage 18 easy.

Its all about the driver really.

Comment

Working...
                  X