AV help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV help

A friend bought a new TV, surround sound and xbox360 and asked me to come connect it. I have it all connected but cannot get the Xbox connected thru the surround sound system so he can here the Xbox thru the surround system speakers. I have the cable box connected thru the system to the TV and it works fine. The problem is there is only an hdmi out and one set of component AV on the back of the entertainment system. I have the cable box connected to the tv via hdmi, component video from ent system to tv and audio RCA from ent system to cable box. The hdmi out isn't used on the ent system.
    How do I connect the Xbox in this loop and make all work without unplugging/plugging? Thanks.

I'm no guru but my surround sound has multiple audio inputs, so the rca's From ps3 connect to the surround unit and the video goes directly to the tv

So I just switch the surround sound to aux and tell the tv what input to look for
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

This surround system sucks as it only has one input.

Comment

Use an optical wire for the audio from the 360 to receiver. (Assuming 360s have an optical out)

Edit: Just checked and they do.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

So keep the HDMI for video and just run the optical line from the xbox to the surround system? There is an optical output on there I think.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
            So keep the HDMI for video and just run the optical line from the xbox to the surround system? There is an optical output on there I think.
            IF the Xbox allows you to do that. It might not allow for two audio signals. This is an option you have to turn on and off for PS3s, so Xbox could be the same way.

Comment

Not the ideal situation, but if the surround receiver only has one HDMI input, run HDMI from the cable box and from the 360, both to HDMI inputs on the TV, and then run HDMI from the TV output to the surround system. Use the TV to switch sources.

Comment

The receiver says HDMI "out" so will that change anything?

Comment

No HDMI In???

Comment

If the receiver doesn't have HDMI in, it belongs in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                      If the receiver doesn't have HDMI in, it belongs in the trash.
                      Lol

It might be easierfor the doc to just buy his buddy an all new setup.

Comment

it sounds like one of those all in 1 home theater in a box things that has a built in dvd/bluray player. it has 1 HDMI out for it's own blu-ray/dvd player and i has 1 set of analog inputs.

personally i would return it but what jluv posted will work if slightly modifie.

do this:
                        Originally posted by jluv View Post
                        run HDMI from the cable box and from the 360, both to HDMI inputs on the TV.
                        then from here use the audio output section on the TV.
                        if his receiver has fiber optic use that.
                        if not, use a set of red/white rca cables.

awful.
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
                          it sounds like one of those all in 1 home theater in a box things that has a built in dvd/bluray player. it has 1 HDMI out for it's own blu-ray/dvd player and i has 1 set of analog inputs.

personally i would return it but what jluv posted will work if slightly modifie.

do this:

then from here use the audio output section on the TV.
                          if his receiver has fiber optic use that.
                          if not, use a set of red/white rca cables.

awful.
                          Never heard of something like that, but it sounds like a real piece of shit rig.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                            Never heard of something like that, but it sounds like a real piece of shit rig.
                            oh you've seen them everywhere but good for you that you overlooked it like it's not even a viable device to consider:

Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Yeah no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X