School me on doing a build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on doing a build?

I've seen a lot of posts in here in regards to doing your own AR "build" and had some noob questions. First why build it instead of buying one already done? What are the benefits of it? How much does a build cost and are you talking about putting everything together from bare bones or getting some parts whole, like the bolt or the lower (as in trigger mechanism already installed)? If you order parts off the internet do you have to go through an FFL? Thanks!

I wanted to build my own just so I know how it works and goes together. I got in on the GB and ordered a stripped lower and a lower parts kit. Then put it together myself. I had never fired an AR much less built one before I got in on the GB. The guys here in the armory made me get the itch to do it. I will probably order the upper complete and put together already because I don't have any of the tools for it, but there are plenty of people here that have them, and would be more than happy to help put it together with you. You have to go through a FFL to get the lower. The rest I think you can do it without an FFL. WIth my lower, LPK, and stock I have right at $170 with shipping, and FFL fees included. So if I get a $399 upper I'll have ~$570 total in it. You can find good deals and come out about the same but I like the fact I built it.
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
      I wanted to build my own just so I know how it works and goes together. I got in on the GB and ordered a stripped lower and a lower parts kit. Then put it together myself. I had never fired an AR much less built one before I got in on the GB. The guys here in the armory made me get the itch to do it. I will probably order the upper complete and put together already because I don't have any of the tools for it, but there are plenty of people here that have them, and would be more than happy to help put it together with you. You have to go through a FFL to get the lower. The rest I think you can do it without an FFL. WIth my lower, LPK, and stock I have right at $170 with shipping, and FFL fees included. So if I get a $399 upper I'll have ~$570 total in it. You can find good deals and come out about the same but I like the fact I built it.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If you're going for a basic build, the main advantage is: you now know how it works. If you're going for a custom rig, building it yourself is the only way to go.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Because for a rifle that looks like some kid's lego creation, wouldn't you be embarrassed to say you bought said lego creation already built by some kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            If you're going for a basic build, the main advantage is: you now know how it works. If you're going for a custom rig, building it yourself is the only way to go.
            Word. It's fun to put them together, too.
            Originally posted by Bassics View Post
            Because for a rifle that looks like some kid's lego creation, wouldn't you be embarrassed to say you bought said lego creation already built by some kid?

I wish they were cheap like Legos.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for the responses! And I like the Lego analogy haha. What are the big companies when it comes to ordering the parts? Do the regular manufacturers sell the parts as well? Wish I would have asked these questions before black Friday haha

Comment

You definitely missed out on some good black friday deals. I got in on the GB for the lower as well. I finally got all of my parts ordered and on their way. I wasn't quite as frugal as i could have been. Some things could have been picked up used, (stock/grips), but all said and done, I'm at about $550 for a complete rifle with Iron Sights.
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

If my dumb ass can do it. Anyone can... lol

Like lego block. For adults. BTW my build only cost like $420
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Damn really? 550 and 420 with irons aint bad at all. I'm wanting some flip up Irons on the initial build then save up for some nice optics. Hmmm

Comment

I am going to be putting some lowers together next Sunday at my house. 1pm - 3pm

There are at least 5 lowers to assemble and can show you how in a matter of minutes. Plus I have a couple tools that make it a no brainer.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                        Damn really? 550 and 420 with irons aint bad at all. I'm wanting some flip up Irons on the initial build then save up for some nice optics. Hmmm
                        Watch AR15.com in the equipment exchange. Or post in the want to buy section for non wear type parts, sights, gas block, etc.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X