My recent cage install (tons of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recent cage install (tons of pics)

This doesn't have that much fabrication in it but I figured this is the section it belonged in.

I recently just finished up a Wolfe six point in my car. Here are a lot of pics of my progress and some of the details that I had to work out. It's the first roll bar I've ever installed so cut me some slack. I think it turned out real nice. And these pics look like dooky from my iPhone.

Started off with the plates.

Then started mocking it up.

I started off with the low slung side bars but they interfered with my seats way too much for my liking so I traded them for the straight side bars. Here you can see they just barely kiss the seat. Much better.

The main hoop was a little tweaked. Here you can see it was off center a little. I took it back to Wolfe and they fixed it, no problem. They just added some more bend on one side and took some out on the other.

Here it is ready for the rear bars to be mocked up.
    Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 10:43 AM.
    00 GT
    Twin Turbo Street Car

Since my battery was right in the way of where the right rear bar fell, I did some measuring and took the bars to Wolfe and had them add a bend. I did both sides so they would match.

Next I ordered two removable side bar kits (for each side) from Chris Alston's Chassis Works. Pretty nice pieces. Here they are going in.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM.
    00 GT
    Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Looks slow

Comment

Once it was all mocked up it was time to tear it out and prep it for paint.

I tried to have the paint matched to the interior color but it came out just a little lighter. I still like it.

After it was all painted I taped it up and welded her in for good.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM.
        00 GT
        Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

The top bars were a little tricky but I got em welded in without burning the headliner. Used some exhaust heat shield and aluminum sheet to insulate the head liner. Here is after I welded them and began painting.

I sanded and buffed to blend the new paint with the old.

Painting the plates.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM.
          00 GT
          Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Finally the interior could go back in.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM.
            00 GT
            Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

And here is my little helper testing out the side bars.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM.
              00 GT
              Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
                Looks slow
                It is!
                00 GT
                Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Originally posted by 4pnt6 View Post
                  It is!
                  Liar... BTW the fender roller does it's job...

Comment

Looks good. The 6x6 plates are for the back bars. the 3x6 plates are for the front, and you should weld another 3x6 to the front up the rocker panel, on top of the floor plate. this will help the plate from ripping from thin sheet metal. There should be 24" of weld to each point if you are going to use plate. You should be able to add them with out messing up the paint
                    JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Looks damn nice to me, hopefully you dont ever have to test the sturdiness of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesB View Post
                        Looks good. The 6x6 plates are for the back bars. the 3x6 plates are for the front, and you should weld another 3x6 to the front up the rocker panel, on top of the floor plate. this will help the plate from ripping from thin sheet metal. There should be 24" of weld to each point if you are going to use plate. You should be able to add them with out messing up the paint
                        I was wondering why I had so much plate left over from the kit. I used some to box the front 4. Thanks.
                        00 GT
                        Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Great pics!

Comment

How much did the removable side bar fittings run you? I heard they're really expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                              How much did the removable side bar fittings run you? I heard they're really expensive...
                              $120/side.

Last edited by 4pnt6; 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM.
                              00 GT
                              Twin Turbo Street Car

Comment

Working...
                              X