Basic 302?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic 302?s

Timing cover gasket is seeping on my car, so I figure when I change that I might as well change the cam. I was also debating getting a set of gt40p heads and a better intake, and run that set up until I have the money for aluminum heads and a custom cam.

I want a choppy idle, but I don't want to compromise a ton of fuel mileage. I would like a little bit more power in the upper rpms as well. What off the shelf cam would work great for this set up?

And what intake? A gt40 intake or what else would fit my scenario better?

Also, what kind of track times could I expect with slicks, springs, shocks and control arms. Also welded subframes and welded torque boxes.

Would I still be In the 8s? Has anyone ran anything similar?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Or should I keep the stock Cam?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

This is still your only car, correct?

If so, leave it be. You're young and prone to a driving style that will cause parts failure. Get a dependable vehicle that will get from work to school and back, then start playing with the Mustang.

Comment

For a basic combo like that a cheap, used B or E cam would work well. I would get a set of three bar gt40's to avoid the funky spark plug angle and a used explorer/cobra/gt40 intake would be fine. I would expect around an 8.0 in the eighth.

edit; if you change the cam make sure you get a good set of valve springs.
        Big Rooster Racing "Dare to win well."

Comment

Since this is your only car, i'd leave it alone. If anything just add a Cobra/Explorer intake for now. Explorer intakes can be had for cheap. There's one in the classifieds right now for $75.

With that said, here's my combo: stock 78k mile shortblock, GT40 heads (TFS valve springs), Crane 1.7 rockers, Explorer Intake, Crane 2031 cam (.513/.529 lift, 214/220 dur, 112 lsa), 70mm TB, 77mm MAF, AFM inlet pipe, 24 lb injectors, BBK longtubes, BBK catted h-pipe, Dynomax Catback. Tuned with an SCT chip it put down 262 rwhp / 303 rwtq. No track times as this is a weekend street cruiser with 3.27 gears and handling suspension.

It pulls hard, has nice low end power, great cam lope at idle but has stock like driveability. It even passed the sniffer for inspection as the cam is Emmissions legal. It's a very mild and fun street setup.

Marcus
          Last edited by 2cammer97; 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM.
          '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
            Timing cover gasket is seeping on my car, so I figure when I change that I might as well change the cam. I was also debating getting a set of gt40p heads and a better intake, and run that set up until I have the money for aluminum heads and a custom cam.

I want a choppy idle, but I don't want to compromise a ton of fuel mileage. I would like a little bit more power in the upper rpms as well. What off the shelf cam would work great for this set up?

And what intake? A gt40 intake or what else would fit my scenario better?

Also, what kind of track times could I expect with slicks, springs, shocks and control arms. Also welded subframes and welded torque boxes.

Would I still be In the 8s? Has anyone ran anything similar?
            I know where a set of gt40p's are cheap when you get your money right.

Comment

I like the E cam in my Coupe. Also with the GT40p's, don't you have to change the headers too?
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I have an extra e cam I will let go if your interested... FWIW, I ran explorer upper/lower, explorer 65mm throttle body, 3 bar gt40 heads (hogged out exhaust ports, gasket matched intake by me), e cam, bbk longtubes, underdrives and electric fan. I was 18 and couldnt afford an SCT tune, so I just played with F.P. and timing while on the dyno. Best it made was 282hp/320 torque. Was a fun little car... Ive since moved on to bigger/better things.

Comment

Working...
                X