What kind of buttstock do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of buttstock do I need?

I am finally going to build one of the lower and LPK that I bought in the group buy that we had a while back. I bought an assembled upper and need to know what kind of buttstock I need. It seems that there are commercial and mill spec? Are they different sizes? Anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to spend over $75 if possible.

I have never put a lower together, but there seems to be plenty of advice and walk throughs online so I should be fine.

I will build the upper and lower on the other lower and LPK that I bought.

TYIA!

It will depend on if the lower you bought is a commercial or mil-spec piece. I don't remember the sizes, but there is a difference and you will need to measure your lower to know which one will fit.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
      It will depend on if the lower you bought is a commercial or mil-spec piece. I don't remember the sizes, but there is a difference and you will need to measure your lower to know which one will fit.
      All lower receivers are the same.

The difference is the diameter of the buffer tube. Commercial tubes are a larger diameter then military tubes.

The easiest way to tell is on a military tube the threads will stick out from the buffer tube. On a commercial tube the threads are cut into the tube, and it maintains the same OD all the way down. The commercial tubes do not have quite the same thread engagement, it varies slightly, but a commercial tube will fit on a mil spec receiver, so either way you're fine. Some argue there is some quality difference and other things but I don't see any good evidence either way.

And to answer your inevitable question no there is not any difference between the two. Neither is better than the other. Buy whichever one you can find a better deal on. I personally use commercial tubes because more stocks are available for them. Most all manufacturers make stocks for either size. Just be aware.
      Last edited by CJ; 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          All lower receivers are the same.

but a commercial tube will fit on a mil spec receiver
          I'm confused now.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            I'm confused now.
            The thread engagement depth is slightly less on commercial tubes, the lowers are the same.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I probably should make another thread for this, but I don't want to fill up the forum w/short one question threads.

Will these work in my AR-15?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=9...0500&source=CJ

Slick Deals has coupon codes to get these for $270 shipped. I bought the lower through the group buy here and got a Rock River assembled upper at the gun show last weekend.

TYIA!

Comment

They'll work if your AR15 barrel is chambered for 5.56
                Originally posted by Jester
                Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                Originally posted by Denny
                What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Yea, after looking at info online, it seems that I need to know more about the upper.

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post
                    Yea, after looking at info online, it seems that I need to know more about the upper.
                    If it's your standard AR15 (nothing like a 6.8, .300, etc) then it'll be chambered in .223 or 5.56. You can shoot .223 and 5.56 out of a 5.56 barrel. Trying to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel is not recommended because you could have pressure issues.
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

OK thanks! I'll check it out when I get home later tonight.

Comment

The barrel is stamped RR 223 wylde. Looking at the Rock River website, it says that this will accept both .223 and 5.56...

Comment

I'm sorry but everytime I scroll down the main page I read this: what kind of buttsex do I need.
                          Originally posted by talisman
                          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                          Originally posted by AdamLX
                          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Because fuck you, that's why
                          Originally posted by 80coupe
                          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                          Originally posted by Rick Modena
                          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                            I'm sorry but everytime I scroll down the main page I read this: what kind of buttsex do I need.
                            Yea, I should have known better and just called it a stock. Especially with the demented folks that is dfwmustangs...

Anyone know of a local place that I can get a scope mount and castle nut wrench? I finally got everything I need to complete an ar-15 and I would like to give it to my bro for xmas.

TYIA!

Comment

WHere is local to you?
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X