Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to take Samsung DLP bulb for testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to take Samsung DLP bulb for testing?

My buddy has a 50" DLP (I believe it is part number DLP HL-RY266W), and he is too lazy to get it fixed so I figured for Christmas I'd fix it for him. When I turn the TV on I can hear some activity, like an electrical sound, but nothing comes up on the screen, no light, no nothing, I think what I am hearing is the ballast trying to fire up the bulb but I do not know for sure (I can see a little electrical spark from what I believe is the ballast). I pulled the color wheel out of it to see if it was damaged, but it looked good and spun freely. I don't want to throw any money at this TV without knowing what exactly what is wrong with it so I was hoping there is a way to get the bulb tested before I replace it. Anyone know of a place that offers this service?

If you post the model number of the TV (most people don't know which lamp they have) you may get lucky with someone having the same/similar model that would check it. Worth a shot anyway.

Comment

It is an HL-P5063W

Comment

Looks like this

Comment

could always just order a bulb off amazon and see if that works, return if not....

they run about 60 shipped on there

Comment

Ya, I hate to do that, but with my Prime account the bulb comes out to like $55.

Does this sound like what most people experience when the bulb dies? Hearing the balast try to fire a few times over a few minutes then the thing stops trying and beeps?

Comment

Sounds like a bulb. I replaced the bulb and the DLP chip and cleaned all the mirrors in my sisters a few months ago and it looks like a brand new TV again. Once you change the bulb I would recommend blowing out EVERYTHING inside the screen assembly with medium velocity compressed air and clean all the mirrors, glass surfaces, and fans. Even with that done I would probably prepare to replace the DLP chip within a year. Its a common failure on the Samsungs related to dust.

Comment

Dust=shorted components/failures.
                ./ ____ _ _\.
                (]]]_ o _[[[)
                \o_FORD_o/
                |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

What is the lamp part number? I ask because we just replaced ours and have the old bulb you could use to try it out, if compatible. The old bulb still works, it was just getting pretty dim.

The one I have is BP96-01795A.. I know it is a long shot but figured it it is worth a try.

Comment

I am thinking it has to be the lamp. Went ahead and ordered another one from Samsung. I am not sure what the new lamp looks like, but this one appears to have blown the tip of the "filament" off. Hard to see in the pictures, but the very tip seems to be kind of jagged and there are little glass particles inside the lamp. Is this how they commonly go?

Comment

Its the lamp. Might wanna check the cooling fans to make sure they are working properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X