Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In honor of my grandfather on Dec 7th....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In honor of my grandfather on Dec 7th....

I was a little hesitant to post this at first. I know that most of you prefer the "cliff notes". However, for those that have and do serve, there are no shortcuts. And likewise to properly set the tone of what I am sharing here, I must ramble a little.

My grandfather did not share many details about the "big one" with me. Like so many others who enlisted, he seemed to take the attitude that they were just doing what had to be done. It was not for future glory but rather for doing their best to preserve this country's values for future generations. My grandfather has been gone for six years now and the older I get, the more I wish I had more time with his insight. Unfortunately his Alzheimer's condition seemed to take him away from us even long before then. As President Reagan said it best, it was a "long goodbye". While helping my grandmother clean out the garage a few months ago I was taken back by the amount of his personal belongings that had collected years of dust upon them. Many things seemed as if they had not been picked up or moved since long before his passing. In doing so, I discovered a treasure trove of insight to his life that I had long been missing. Thankfully, with proper storage I will be able to save most of what I have found from further deterioration.

Most of the content that you find about WWII describes the carnage and destruction. This deteriorating memo I found in my grandfather's belongings describes in detail a glimpse into another side of the war front not so frequently covered. It may not be the most eloquent document; but, I feel that its insight is more important to share on this "day of infamy".

Last edited by SuperCPA; 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM.
    '06 STS-V '86 GN

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing. Not many of those tough old dudes around anymore.

Comment

They don't get called the greatest generation for nothing.

Comment

wow... that is very cool. that just goes to show how small of a world this place can really be.
        thank you to all the men and women who served our country

Comment

Very cool! Got any others you want to post?

Comment

That is very cool

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I have found so many items of history, military significance and interest that I am not sure I could never photograph or scan them all. I found his worn and tattered service hat and can only hope that the rest of his uniform will be found to preserve as well. I wish there was a way to tell how much of the wear was from combat duty and how much was caused by normal deterioration. Unfortunately, I found out that his service issued Colt 1911 was sold by him sometime back in the 60's. I already knew that he was a B-17 pilot; but, I never knew the extent of his missions over Europe from his perspective until now. I'll keep posting items here as time goes by for as long as everyone remains interested.

'06 STS-V '86 GN

Comment

In an old cigar box, I found many different small items including these very small photos mounted on material similar to what you would find being used for baseball cards. Any input as to what their use, context or purpose might have been would be helpful. Each of them is about half the size of a credit card.

'06 STS-V '86 GN

Comment

cool story, both my Grandfathers were there, one in Italy and Africa and the other in the Pacific Theatre. I have one grandfathers letters and paperwork from back then. nothing spectacular but very sentimental to me. I miss them both and wish I had asked them to tell me their stories before they died years ago. Now I will never be able to pass that down to my boy.

Comment

That's pretty cool. I have a box with some of my grandfather's stuff from WWII - photos (war time, but not war action), military papers, Western Union telegram my grandmother recieved of his death, coorespondence with the War Dept regarding his death his 48 star burial flag, etc. It's always cool to see this type of stuff.

Comment

very cool post. look forward to seeing this thread updated.
                      2007 Silverado CC
                      1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                        They don't get called the greatest generation for nothing.
                        ^^^ this times 100.

Comment

Good post.

Comment

I recently found a nice picture of my grandfather in his uniform. It is dated on the back "1942" which I believe is shortly before he was made captain and assigned to a B-17 in England. Perhaps someone here more knowledgeable can shed some information on his bars & pins.

'06 STS-V '86 GN

Comment

Very cool. Your grandfather was an amazing man that accomplished some amazing things.
                              I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

Working...
                              X