Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about jeep cherokees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about jeep cherokees?

I bought a used 1999 jeep cherokee sport for my daughter to drive. Today when she was leaving school it moved about 10 feet and died. It will turn over but won't start.

I've done some research and I see where that vehicle has a crankshaft position sensor that is a known trouble spot. Since i'm going to have to fix it right there in the high school parking lot, i'm trying to be prepared with a list of things that commonly go out on those vehicles. CPS is now on the list.

So, what are the other trouble spots that i should be aware of?

Try the CPS first, that is likely the problem.

Comment

Mike the cps is kinda a bitch to get to on the ground its mounted on the trans(10 oclock position if your looking at the motor from behind) Connector wires go up and connect to the harness on the intake. I'm assuming this is a 4.0?

Comment

Cherokee

I've owned 2 cherokee's. The only trouble I had was the radiator is borderline small. You get just a little trash in it and it'll overheat. I found a oversize repl. rad. (after a lot of searching) and the truck never overheated again. Chrys. also put a big sway bar on the front to help prevent rollovers and this made it throw you around on uneven bumps. I put in a older sway bar from a 94 and the ride was much better.

Comment

Its a jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket
          They are fun, but they can ruin your day thats for sure.

My vote is for the CPS too

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
            Mike the cps is kinda a bitch to get to on the ground its mounted on the trans(10 oclock position if your looking at the motor from behind) Connector wires go up and connect to the harness on the intake. I'm assuming this is a 4.0?
            Yes, it's a 4.0. I have a diagram showing where the CPS is, but i hate to hear that it's actually hard to get to (dammit!).

Thanks for all of ya'lls help!

Comment

agreeing with JimD

Comment

Its probably doable, just bring you a jack to lift the drivers side up some, some swivels would be a good idea also.

Comment

Side note...since i'm working on one today, a 97...WTF were they thinking putting that oil filter base adapter where it is, requires a T-60 torx, which i have, but no room for a ratchet/breaker bar to loosen it. 1/4 inch clearance between the socket and frame. Fkn bullshit to hook the hoist up, pull the motor mounts just to get a god damn tool enough room to fit......Rant over.

Comment

Side note...since i'm working on one today, a 97...WTF were they thinking putting that oil filter base adapter where it is, requires a T-60 torx, which i have, but no room for a ratchet/breaker bar to loosen it. 1/4 inch clearance between the socket and frame. Fkn bullshit to hook the hoist up, pull the motor mounts just to get a god damn tool enough room to fit......Rant over.
                    Go to autozone and buy one of the cheap torx/socket combo's. Knock the T-60 tip outta the socket.

Tip + wrench = easy.

Comment

I've noticed some weird things about these jeeps too. No spring loaded belt tensioner, rubber plug in the diff cover that leaks, poor wiring, can't get to radiator drain, ridiculous implementation of the switch for neutral safety switch and backup lights, and now the location of the CPS is going to give me more grief.........

But my daughter wanted one, and i know for the most part they are tough little suvs.

Comment

Yeah, the 4.0 used the p.s. pump to adjust tension, dodge has used a rubber plug for the diff fill on there little diffs for years, you know it has fluid if it's leaking lol(seriously, you can pull the plug clean it good and the mating surface and use a little silicone to help keep it from leaking/seeping).

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeruti View Post
                          Go to autozone and buy one of the cheap torx/socket combo's. Knock the T-60 tip outta the socket.

Tip + wrench = easy.
                          Cheap skate boss wouldn't buy one, ended up grabbing my long barrel air chisel w/long chisel and knocked it loose. Had to come home and get it b/c his cheap shit wore out air chisel wouldn't work.Chunked that POS in the trash and put one on from a used motor from out back. Fkn idiots had red locktite(factory) on it.

Comment

Ya'll haven't said a thing about the exhaust manifold cracks yet either.

Comment

oh yeah, and the stock manifold likes to break right at the 2 into 1 collector ^^^^^^^^^

the aftermarket units are reasonably priced, usually include the gasket and collector bolts, and have expansion joint integrated to help reduce repeat failures. they're not too bad to change once you've done 1 or 2

Comment

Working...
                              X