Anyone have a good recipe for "greens?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a good recipe for "greens?"

I'm planning the NYE menu and I typically make black-eyed peas along with fried cabbage. I am wanting to add greens to the mix this year.

I remember someone making some a loooong time ago that were decent with enough salt and hot sauce, but last time I ate some it tasted like straight wet grass clippings.

Is greens a tradition somewhere? I'm from PA, and everyone eats sauerkraut on NYD for good luck, much like people do black eyed peas in the south. My grandma whips up some awesome beer kraut.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
      Is greens a tradition somewhere? I'm from PA, and everyone eats sauerkraut on NYD for good luck, much like people do black eyed peas in the south. My grandma whips up some awesome beer kraut.
      They say greens brings "wealth" due to the leaves looking like folded money. Cabbage is considered a green, but I have been wanting some of the greens like I had the first time I tried them.

Comment

I am thinking about making some haluski for New Years day.
        2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
        2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
        2012 Ford Edge

Comment

I do sauteed onions with a little garlic, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne in mine, and about a minute before you're ready to serve them, crack a whole egg in the pan, stir, and cook until set.

Comment

You should try and make purple hull peas instead of black eyed peas, if you can find them. Black eyed peas are just gross.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
              You should try and make purple hull peas instead of black eyed peas, if you can find them. Black eyed peas are just gross.
              Blasphemer!! Black eyed peas with snaps are the cats grommet. Add a spoonful of chow chow and it is a meal in itself. As for greens Bacon with the grease is always a good addition.

Comment

find you a good wilted spinach recipe
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
                  I do sauteed onions with a little garlic, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne in mine, and about a minute before you're ready to serve them, crack a whole egg in the pan, stir, and cook until set.
                  I've never heard of this before. I was thinking the kind boiled in chicken broth with ham hocks or something of that nature?

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                  Yale, I like you and all, but don't make me send you back to PA with that nonsense! I've heard of several people thinking they taste like dirt, but I make a big ol' pot with crumbled sausage, onions, tomatoes, etc that are pretty darn tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post

This, minus the egg, and start with a handful of Wright Brand Bacon Ends 'N Pieces (red, white, and blue bag;Kroger, Albertson's, and Wal Mart carry it). Let the fat render a little, then toss in the onions, spices, then the greens.

Divide up and freeze the rest of the ends and pieces. I use them in my beans, and any time I want to sauté something in fat.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                      Blasphemer!! Black eyed peas with snaps are the cats grommet. Add a spoonful of chow chow and it is a meal in itself. As for greens Bacon with the grease is always a good addition.

My grandma used to make the BEST chow chow and pear relish. I never was able to get her recipe before the Alzheimer's set in.

But black eyed peas and purple hull peas are both nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        start with a handful of Wright Brand Bacon Ends 'N Pieces (red, white, and blue bag;Kroger, Albertson's, and Wal Mart carry it).
                        That stuff is awesome to cook with.

Comment

throw that shit over the fence and cook something good

Comment

I need to learn how to cook kale. Boiling it is the easiest, but loses a lot of nutrition. Sauteing it is my favorite way, but it never cooks enough and remains quite tough. Does Brent Lagasse have any ideas?
                            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                              I need to learn how to cook kale. Boiling it is the easiest, but loses a lot of nutrition. Sauteing it is my favorite way, but it never cooks enough and remains quite tough. Does Brent Lagasse have any ideas?
                              I don't think there is a good way to cook kale. ruff daddy posted in the workout forum about baking them, essentially making kale chips. But again, you lose some nutrients. I think he said he just drizzled with olive oil and a dash of salt.

Kale is going to be bitter no matter what. And cooking them with any method is going to lose nutrients.

Comment

Working...
                              X