Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shed - buy a kit, buy plans - or have it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed - buy a kit, buy plans - or have it done?

I'm due to close on my new place in the next few days, and as I move - I'll have to stack a LOT of shit in my garage or on the porch since I won't have a shed.

In the past, I've just paid to have someone build a shed for me - but this time around, I'll most likely build it, maybe buy plans and build it, or buy a kit and build it.

Where I live, it can only be a max of 10X12 before a permit is required - and to be honest, my backyard is kinda small anyways..so, that size is perfect, and it's what I have in the old house.

I see Home Depot has a 8X10 kit that's under 1,000$ and the way it's setup, would work pretty good. I'd rather buy a kit - I think..

Time is of the essence, as is budget. So, having one built @ 2,000-3500$ is not gonna cut it.

Thoughts?

a few months ago i put together a Lifetime plasic job in the backyard. It is 8x12. i love it! i was right around 1200 i think. very sturdy and went together easily.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
      I'm due to close on my new place in the next few days, and as I move - I'll have to stack a LOT of shit in my garage or on the porch since I won't have a shed.

In the past, I've just paid to have someone build a shed for me - but this time around, I'll most likely build it, maybe buy plans and build it, or buy a kit and build it.

Where I live, it can only be a max of 10X12 before a permit is required - and to be honest, my backyard is kinda small anyways..so, that size is perfect, and it's what I have in the old house.

I see Home Depot has a 8X10 kit that's under 1,000$ and the way it's setup, would work pretty good. I'd rather buy a kit - I think..

Time is of the essence, as is budget. So, having one built @ 2,000-3500$ is not gonna cut it.

Thoughts?
      Are there any deed restrictions on the size or material? You might want to check before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        Are there any deed restrictions on the size or material? You might want to check before making a decision.
        Size, yes - 120 sq.ft., material the HOA requires something like "Like or similar material to the house, with matching or similar paint and shingles"

Comment

your always better doing it yourself. I would just surf the web and find some plans you like. Then buy everything you need. Kits are always more than what you can do yourself. I put up a closed in carport last year with r-panel cheaper than I could buy a carport kit for. If you can swing a hammer and saw its not that hard. I have about 1500 in this one including the concrete work. I still need to paint and add the trim.
          before

after

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
            your always better doing it yourself. I would just surf the web and find some plans you like. Then buy everything you need. Kits are always more than what you can do yourself. I put up a closed in carport last year with r-panel cheaper than I could buy a carport kit for. If you can swing a hammer and saw its not that hard. I have about 1500 in this one including the concrete work. I still need to paint and add the trim.
            before
            Can we get some more details on this please? How did you put it together (weld/bolt), any problems with wind etc.

Comment

Make your builder build you one for the trouble he put you through on the house. Besides I need you to be free to weld up my cold side and cut and weld my DP. lol

If you decide to build it let me know I can loan you Dewalt cordless skill saw, recipricating saw, jig saw, drills and tons of batteries and more if you need. I will be home on the 19th this month until the 17th of January.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                Make your builder build you one for the trouble he put you through on the house. Besides I need you to be free to weld up my cold side and cut and weld my DP. lol

If you decide to build it let me know I can loan you Dewalt cordless skill saw, recipricating saw, jig saw, drills and tons of batteries and more if you need. I will be home on the 19th this month until the 17th of January.
                I'll damn sure do that Keith, give me a call when you get in town! I should be moved in by then!

Comment

Build it yourself. Poor some concrete footings and secure a 4x4 base to that. Then build on top of that. It'll be cheaper than the kit and you can make it look like you want.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    Can we get some more details on this please? How did you put it together (weld/bolt), any problems with wind etc.
                    Its all bolted. (6)10ft 11gauge 4x4 posts, (5) 8in c-purlings, (7) 20ft r-panels, (21) 8ft r-panels, 10ft of angle, and (12) 10ft 2x4's. Wind doesnt bother it at all and it held 8inches of snow last winter. I built one just like it 7 years ago at my last house and its still standing.

Comment

hey brooks, build one and if you need some help let me know. depending on the weekend I might be able to come give you a hand on it. With all the home stuff I've been doing that will be no problem. Do you want a concrete floor or just a wood floor?

<--Christian, i didn't see Kim was logged in. lol
                      sigpic

Comment

If you can use it I have a new in crate 7' x 7' rollup up door I am not going to use $250.00 and its yours

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
                        54 Olds 88 2dr HT
                        12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

Too bad you don't have any amish friends. They could raise one hell of a shed in about 2 hours. lol

When is closing day?
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
                            hey brooks, build one and if you need some help let me know. depending on the weekend I might be able to come give you a hand on it. With all the home stuff I've been doing that will be no problem. Do you want a concrete floor or just a wood floor?

<--Christian, i didn't see Kim was logged in. lol
                            Dude i have a full 18v Ryobi kit and would come lend a hand just to get to know some more stangers. I enjoy doing shit like that.......And i can give you an idea for MAWR POWAR for electrical out there too

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Shit, I missed the last few replies to this thread for some reason.

Regardless, I finally closed and we moved in last night. The shed buidling will begin soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X