Best Place to Shop for a Receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place to Shop for a Receiver?

I'm considering upgrading my old Harmon Kardon receiver to something a little more powerful and modern.

I use my home theatre system primarily just to watch TV and play a little PS3, with the occassional Blu Ray movie here and there. I'm reasonably happy with my current set-up for these purposes, but would like something more powerful to help improve audio quality when listening to music. It's not bad now, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Using the Harmon Kardon to power B&W 702 series 5.1 system, and I know I'm under-utilizing them now.

So where is a good place to start shopping? Crutchfield? I went to Best Buy and browsed around their Magnolia section, but didn't see a lot of variety. Any good local stereo shops that have competitive prices?

Our new house is going to have a dedicated media room so I picked up a new receiver with HDMI a few weeks ago from Best Buy Lewisville. I got the Denon 3312. He knocked $100 off the price. Not high end but not the most budget. I haven't hooked it up yet but really liked our Denon 3803.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Ask for Anthony, cool guy not pushy knows the products..
      Home Theater Technologies
      1601 Keller Pkwy
      Keller , TX 76248
      (817) 337-1300

Comment

what model HK do you have?

you might consider a seperate solid state 5 channel amp. it's something you wont have to keep upgrading unlike your processor/pre-amp section.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

It's a 6yr old AVR135

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
            It's a 6yr old AVR135
            ah, yes. that is a bit underpowered.

if you go with an integrated, pioneer elite SC-35/37/55/57 can be found a decent discount online. hk avr 3650, the higher end yamahas and denons are okay.

personally i would check into spending a bit and getting a preamp/processor and an amplifier.
            cheaper options would start with emotiva, rotel, some nad.

i'd want to hear it first, but this looks like a good combo:
            PRE/PRO
            Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

+ AMP
            Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

do some reading on avsforums and other av boards. you can find some folks out there that have the same speakers as you that have tried a few combos.
            Last edited by momo; 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM.
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Thanks...problem is, I like the way it sounds right now enough that I'm not wanting to spend more than what the Pre/Pro unit costs alone one something new. It's kind of one of those "If it ain't broke..." type of purchases, and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Probably just stick with what I got until I see someone selling a used high-end piece and just jump on that.

Comment

Thanks...problem is, I like the way it sounds right now enough that I'm not wanting to spend more than what the Pre/Pro unit costs alone one something new. It's kind of one of those "If it ain't broke..." type of purchases, and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Probably just stick with what I got until I see someone selling a used high-end piece and just jump on that.
                i have an HK avr 525 i would sell ya for $200. it's significantly higher power and an hk 1xx. no hdmi though.
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

How old is that unit?

Thanks.

Comment

How old is that unit?

Thanks.
                    ~2003ish original owner.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

amazon

Comment

Thanks...I think I'm going to hold out for something newer with HDMI's though.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                          Ask for Anthony, cool guy not pushy knows the products..
                          Home Theater Technologies
                          1601 Keller Pkwy
                          Keller , TX 76248
                          (817) 337-1300
                          Is James Westbrook running that place?

Comment

Working...
                          X