Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about timing belt change....

2000 galant 4cy auto

Had a shop change out the belts, and when we got it back, it had a very rough idle and got worse when you get above 2500rpm. It never did that before we dropped it off. I don't know very much about engines,but how could a timing belt replacement cause this. Don't know if it is a timing issue,but he says if it was, it will give a CES, of course no light came on. He mentioned I need to replace engines mounts,which I know I need to,but I just can't believe that could cause it to idle so rough and especially above 2500rpm. It's very noticable outside and especially inside the car. I'm not calling out shop yet. I'm gonna go back up there again and talk to him. Was just seeing if any of you all have advice or anything.
    Last edited by Rafa; 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
    2000 galant 4cy auto

Had a shop change out the belts, and when we got it back, it had a very rough idle and got worse when you get above 2500rpm. It never did that before we dropped it off. I don't know very much about engines,but how could a timing belt replacement cause this. Don't know if it is a timing issue,but he says if it was, it will give a CES, of course no light came on. He mentioned I need to replace engines mounts,which I know I need to,but I just can't believe that could cause it to idle so rough and especially above 2500rpm. I'm not calling out shop yet. I'm gonna go back up there again and talk to him. Was just seeing if any of you all have advice or anything.
    If it was off a tooth, I could see it running, but rough. It would most likely give a CEL though. Viscous motor mounts, when bad will transfer a lot of vibration/roughness into the car.

Comment

Sounds like he didn't get the balance shaft belt aligned correctly. This should have been changed at the same time.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by mustgofaster View Post
        If it was off a tooth, I could see it running, but rough. It would most likely give a CEL though. Viscous motor mounts, when bad will transfer a lot of vibration/roughness into the car.

Could them changing the belts cause the mounts to actually break or make them even worse. It's hard to explain how it sounds,but it's crazy rough and loud. I'm afraid to take it above 60mph.

Comment

Or the harmonic balancer wasnt put back on the same as it was taken off.

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
            Sounds like he didn't get the balance shaft belt aligned correctly. This should have been changed at the same time.

Chris

I did tell them to change both, so I'm wondering if this is what is causing it. Gonna try to take it back tomorrow mornining.

Comment

Does it do it in neutral and in gear?

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                Does it do it in neutral and in gear?

I never tried it in neutral. Does it when you start it and leave it in park and especially when you drive it. When you get up to about 50-55+, feels like something is ready to break. I know engine mounts could be an issue,but I just can't believe it would be this severe.

Comment

I never tried it in neutral. Does it when you start it and leave it in park and especially when you drive it. When you get up to about 50-55+, feels like something is ready to break. I know engine mounts could be an issue,but I just can't believe it would be this severe.
                  It may be engine mounts. Thats not a hard fix.

Comment

I wouldnt drive it until you get it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                      I wouldnt drive it until you get it figured out.
                      I second that, BTW that is a direct interference motor. Sounds like the balance shaft to me also, they can be a motherfucker to get back on right if they didn't mark the old one.

Comment

I'm gonna take it to him tomorrow morning and have him ride with me. He's adament about it being motor mounts. It's just hard for me to believe it from when we dropped it off and when we picked it up, unless tech fucked with them or they went really bad while working on it. Gonna pick up some mounts from parts store and try to do them myself. They want $600 to do 4 of them..fuck that.

Comment

I'm gonna take it to him tomorrow morning and have him ride with me. He's adament about it being motor mounts. It's just hard for me to believe it from when we dropped it off and when we picked it up, unless tech fucked with them or they went really bad while working on it. Gonna pick up some mounts from parts store and try to do them myself. They want $600 to do 4 of them..fuck that.
                          Of course the mechanic is gonna blame something else rather than his work. Have never met an honest mechanic.

Comment

about the only way I would think the motor mounts could be the cause of a noise and vibration so bad you don't want to drive it, would be if one of the mounts to the left or right side broke and allowed the engine or trans to drop down on one side. This could cause the cv shaft angle to be excessive. I doubt that is your problem, since this has only begun since the timing belt job I'd assume there was a timing issue with the balance shaft or timing belt. The engine timing belt being off would most likely cause hard starting, stalling, something similar to a misfire and most likely a check engine light as stated. As JimD also put, it is an interference engine meaning that if the timing belt is too far off or breaks than pistons to valve interference will most likely happen. Last customer that had a belt break on a galant bent all the exhaust valves.

Comment

lol..I know...just pissed

Comment

Working...
                              X