Dry rub ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry rub ideas?

So i have about 65 pounds of pork spare ribs to play with and try out new ideas and rubs. Question is what is your favorite rubs store bought or homemade? Normally I make my own but I want to try something different and see what I like.

Thanks

brown sugar
    paprika
    black pepper
    cayenne pepper
    ground mustard
    salt
    white pepper
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

If you need a quickie rub, I have used this before and had good results. It is usually near the meat section in most grocery stores.

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
        brown sugar
        paprika
        black pepper
        cayenne pepper
        ground mustard
        salt
        white pepper
        This is similar to what I use now minus the ground mustard. Il try adding it thanks

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
          If you need a quickie rub, I have used this before and had good results. It is usually near the meat section in most grocery stores.

Stevo
          I'll see if Walmart has it here. ThankS

Comment

ground mustard is necessary in a bbq rub. Pretty much what Geof said, but my rubs vary depending on what meat I am rubbing. I'd also add garlic and onion powder to his list. And if you like spicy, like I do, cayenne and crushed red pepper. pork ribs get a certain blend, pork butt gets a different blend, brisket is totally different.

Tarragon is good with pork. Cumin for the earthy tone. lemon pepper gives a nice zest, same with lime. I stay away from the garlic salt and onion salt, because I use kosher salt instead of table salt in my rubs. I'll add more if I can find a way to put it without giving out my secrets.

I occasionally use store rubs if it's a last minute deal, but I try to stay away from them. All are loaded with sodium and too salty for my taste. Salt Lick's rub has a good flavor, but as with the rest, it's just too damn salty.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I forgot about the garlic and onion powder. Whoops. Oh and ground bay leaf. Crushed/ground juniper berries would probably be good with pork, but I've not tried that before.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Ok thanks I just wanted to try something different since I have so many to play with

Comment

A lot of people use chili powder too. Be careful with this. I do use it occasionally, but I use very small amounts. I don't want my BBQ to taste like chili.

You can also play with dark brown sugar vs light brown sugar vs turbinado sugar as well. Each has a unique flavor.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I use this recipe from Steven Raichlen's book on my ribs. It has a nice flavor with the allspice, cinnamon, and dried worcestershire powder that most rubs don't have. Make sure to use a good quality lemon pepper, not the cheap shit that has a bunch of salt in it.
                    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                      I use this recipe from Steven Raichlen's book on my ribs.
                      http://barrsoltis.blogspot.com/2008/...s-bbq-rub.html
                      Thanks

Comment

Do you guys know of a good lemon pepper that can be bought at a mainstream grocery store? I never use it because I have never tasted any that actually tasted like lemon.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                          Do you guys know of a good lemon pepper that can be bought at a mainstream grocery store? I never use it because I have never tasted any that actually tasted like lemon.

Stevo
                          You might try Whole Foods, Central Market, or even Market Street. I can't remember where I bought mine but I found some that was good and had no salt.
                          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                          X