Garage Door Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Question

Is it possible to turn a garage that has 2 doors into just 1 door? Theres 2 doors and seemingly a decorative divider in between the doors.

Yeah, my neighbor had it done and I plan to soon. Alot depends on how the house was built though, you may have to install a new header spanning the whole way above the new single door.

Comment

what he said.
      One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        Yeah, my neighbor had it done and I plan to soon. Alot depends on how the house was built though, you may have to install a new header spanning the whole way above the new single door.
        kick ass. i can barely squeeze the wife's edge in the garage. do I contact a garage dude or general contractor or what?

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
          kick ass. i can barely squeeze the wife's edge in the garage. do I contact a garage dude or general contractor or what?
          Hire a garage door dude. There is some fine tuning involved for a smooth running setup. I know someone in Terrell. He adjusted mine after I installed it and it is much smoother.

Comment

You'll want a general contractor for the removal of the most likely supporting middle beam and a garage door person to change over to a single door. Is there brick over the door way or wood?

Comment

I will be watching this thread since my wife just called to tell me she backed out the garage without the door being all the way up.........ugh
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I think Lason pretty much nailed it. However, I would get a contractor to look at it before doing any demolition. It always pays to err on the side of caution for stuff like this..

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
                  You'll want a general contractor for the removal of the most likely supporting middle beam and a garage door person to change over to a single door. Is there brick over the door way or wood?
                  That is the best thing. Have it framed by a general contractor, and have me install the new garage door.

Doors Done Rite

Comment

i did that to my house when i first bought it. it had been enclosed, and i wanted a garage back, but found out that it used to have 2 doors with a center post. the two 2x12's couldn't support the weight over a 16' span, so i found a lumber yard to do the calcs and ended up getting a 14 LVL that i lag bolted and nailed to the existing 2x12's, and used 2x6 framing above and below so the load was sitting on all 3 beams. then had a single door put in and it's been 3 yrs with no problems. a pain in the ass, but it worked.

you'll want to check with the city about permits and stuff, too. mine was a simple one story so that made it easier, but i'd definitely do your homework before you go tearing into things.
                    Justin

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                      Is it possible to turn a garage that has 2 doors into just 1 door? Theres 2 doors and seemingly a decorative divider in between the doors.
                      Yes it is.

If your have a standard 1 door garage it should be a 8x7 with a 1 foot support between the two and then another 8x7 door.

To properly convert it to one door, you'll have to order a 17x7 door (Specialty door).

You'll need to rip the sheet rock above the doors away and reinforce the header. (not hard to do, but you don't want a 17 foot unsupportive span.). Usually you'll have to put in a 20 foot steel angle in.

Comment

approximate cost to do this?

Comment

$650 to install a 16x7 garage door, opening already framed for a 16X7 of course.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                            approximate cost to do this?
                            Whatever the angle costs, removal of the wall, drywall, etc.. Pluse the 17x7 door, and then re-drywall, etc...

I can get doors at wholesale, but I generally don't like installing full doors. (I did a ton of peoples houses on Dfwstangs). These days I prefer just to fix people's doors.

My guess, to remove the post and do all the stuff will probably cost you near $1000.00 to $1500.00 PLUS, PERMITS. And anything the City Inspector will require you to do. (YES YOU MUST HAVE A PERMIT TO DO THIS).

Comment

Working...
                            X